Hey Evvy

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by wolverine11, Apr 19, 2016.

1. darthanubis

darthanubis Heavy Load Member

Jun 26, 2015
    I don't care about what it shows on a meter, fluff or otherwise. Does it get out? Can you talk to those you hear? Cbradiomagizine says the AM modulation is weak. Pretty sure he's not using fluff. But thanks for confirming his findings. And thank you for your other contributions. If the radio keeps amazing you, don't stop talking about it. It matters to many who are looking for a good working modern CB. I'm just afraid I'll like it more than my 959. But with my new antenna system, I think anything will receive now!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. darthanubis

Jun 26, 2015
    Good thing I don't totally rely on hearsay either. The 959 is a good radio.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    I loved my 939. It's all but dead now, though. And probably not worth fixing. Shows modulation, but no TX output. And the backlit faceplate is dead.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  5. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Maybe Uniden made 2 versions and the newer ones have a different final and the modulation can be turned up more than the earlier versions, because I too was hesitant to buy one based on his review on Cb radio magazine, because if you look at his review for the 880 there are no internal adjustments at all for either am carrier or amc but I have a newer 880 and it comes with the 520 mosfet final and there is a amc pot to increase modulation so obviously Uniden went to different board on the newer versions of the 880 so maybe the board on the newer 980s is different too, but I was hesitant at first to buy the 980 but when I saw it on Amazon for $105.00 I said what the heck.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  6. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    And yes the 980 and 880 both get out as good as other comparable single final AM only radios like a Cobra 29, Galaxy 929, uniden 78, by no means can it outperform , in transmit, any of the export dual final radios on the market today. Can I talk to those I hear, hard to say because alot of situations they are really far away and dont even move my needle and in most cases they are talking to another operator and they would have to both stop talking to possibly even hear me if I were able to reach them so I dont really know the answer to that question, just know on average 6 to 8 miles is the norm and have never been told the modulation is weak just the opposite.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  7. darthanubis

Jun 26, 2015
    Sounds like a radio to have, as well as the anytime at-6666. For the price of 1 Stryker 955, I can have 2 great radios! What am I supposed to do with four radios when I can only talk on one at a time?

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  8. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    Four? Just four? Freakin' amateur.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not pictured, my Cobra 19XS, and my Galaxy 979 that's still down with Hardrive.

Evvy Thomas Thanks this.
  9. Evvy Thomas

Evvy Thomas Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2015
    NW Ohio
  10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    He said it's ready to be picked up by the way or shipped out whichever you prefer.

11. Evvy Thomas

Evvy Thomas Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2015
    NW Ohio
    What can I say? I was suckered unto the whole "big radio" hype.. then I found this forum. Yup, I regret it. I usually do learn the hard way.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.