Hi low splitter problem

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Bicycleman, May 13, 2015.

1. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    I just noticed today there is a noise when I'm waiting for it to switch from high to low. Not a definite grind, more like a whirling friction. Doesn't sound terrible, but doesn't sound good either. Sometimes I will grab a gear, barely let out clutch and it will grab. Then I grab neutral and gear again.

Any ideas? Estimated costs?

If I don't wait for it going from 5 low to 4th, and put it in the hole before it drops, I can rev and nothing. Like its in neutral. Hasn't really bothered me, I just take my time and wait for it to drop. I do kinda wonder if I'm neglecting a small quick fix that might turn into something nasty if neglected.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    You need to rebuild the auxiliary section. Sounds like the synchro is shot on the range shift. Been a couple years, but seems to me it was around $2 grand in parts and labor to do the range and split both. (And you want to do both while you're in there!)

4. icsheeple

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    You sure its not just an air leak, and it doesn't build the pressure needed to fully engage the range selector. Something like a quick $20 repair???

5. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    The air leak is a possibility, but the noise would point more towards the other. Low pressure usually will make it seem like the shift hasn't happened yet, as in the shift from 5 to 4 is initially still a shift from 5 to 8. What you described sounds more like the aux taking to long to spin up, and is more likely a sync issue. But such is the hazard of trying to help diagnose a problem without the benefit of actually experiencing the issue.

Your answer does make it seem as if you know the problem and are trolling. But I hope that's not the case.

6. icsheeple

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    OH lol. No I'm sorry. That was a total troll move. I thought it was more obvious. But if it turns out to be a $20 air O ring gasket fix I'd be ecstatic. When I was describing it to my buddy he suggested an air issue, but wasn't much more help than that. I at first thought it might have been an issue right there in the shifter handle. Would have liked the excuse to get an old school handle.

[​IMG]
    I was leaning towards air because I thought the pressure wasn't building up all the way to change the range. But I'm now leaning towards a syncro issue, because you can hear it drop once you engage the clutch a little while its hanging up. And I didn't really notice a noise until today while I was thinking about the thread. I am more of a visual learner and will need to pull up some videos and pictures of how the back half actually works to get a better idea of whats going on.

Hopefully it holds up for a long time before I need to deal with it.

I really appreciate the info. I'm leaning towards syncro and hoping for cheap air leak. Might still get that sweet handle anyway.

blairandgretchen and Hammer166 Thank this.
  7. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    The air is definitely worth checking. A quick way to check: Build air, shut off truck. Range shift in neutral, you'll be able to tell real quick if you can hear the immediate thunk of the shift. If that seems iffy, tee in an air gauge to see if the pressure lags.

Hope you have some luck, and it's a cheapie.

blairandgretchen and icsheeple Thank this.
  8. icsheeple

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Yeah, if I'm just sitting there in neutral is will flip up and down and clunk fast like it should. But going from high to low in gear and it gets hung up. Probably that $2000 back half of the tranny job. Sum beach!

Will it eventually fail leaving me needing a tow? Or is it something that will still get scary bad but able to baby along to nearest shop?

9. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    If the splitter was acting up, you could limp that in. When the range decided it's had enough, you never know. I've seen them where only low range would work, or get stuck in high range. But unable to get in high range while moving was the most common

icsheeple Thanks this.
  10. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    See! Told you you should have lease purchased a Brand New Shiny Truck ! Just kidding.

Bugger. Looks like you might be in the shop a day or so. Going to go the whole hog and get a new tranny?

11. icsheeple

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    haha. yeah, no lease purchase for me.

I'll just keep it on the back burner. Might work just like it is for another 60k miles. In that time I might find another truck to run. Who knows.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.