High Desert Services - Cheyenne WY (Oilfield)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Hanzerik, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Hanzerik

Hanzerik Light Load Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, it looks like I'm hired on with these folks, so I thought I would start a thread to talk about my experience with them.

Just a little about my trucking experience so far. Drove tractor trailers (flatbed/lowboy) in the Military for a few years as part of a job requirement, not my AFSC/MOS. I just retired from the Military after 22.5 years and am on Terminal Leave and needed a new career so I figured why not trucking. Went to Sage Technical Services truck driving school to brush up on driving, and learning how things operate in the civilian world. Plus I needed time in a manual transmission tractor, since all we drove were automatics. I graduated Sage last Monday, had submitted a few applications while still in school with some local Oilfield companies, and this is the first one to get me in a truck.

Got a call yesterday and was asked if I could ride along with one of their drivers today to learn how to operate the new tanker trailers they just received. So I spent the day riding along and learning the loading and unloading procedures. We filled up at a water wellhead, then hauled the water to a huge frac water storage tank and unloaded it. There are three of these tanks; 2 big and a smaller one, and they are almost filled. After they are done there are 25 Frac tank trailers that need to be filled. I think I counted four other tankers, besides our two, filling the tanks.

I would say 90% of the driving today was on gravel/dirt county and leased roads. Road conditions were nice, hilly, but very dusty. The location was in Colorado. Seems like pretty easy work but not your typical drop/hook type work; you have to get out and hook up hoses and open/close valves, etc, but it is not overly strenuous.

DocRox and 1catfish Thank this.
  2. mgt1085

mgt1085 Medium Load Member

Thanks Received:
    congrats and good luck

3. Blackadder47

Blackadder47 Medium Load Member

Thanks Received:
  4. 1catfish

1catfish Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    good deal, longevity is the key.

5. Hanzerik

Thanks Received:
    #mgt1085: Thanks
    #Blackadder47: Pretty Good. Lets just say that I needed to make up about a $4K a month pay difference between Active Duty Military pay and Retired Military pay. It should cover that difference and then some if the work keeps up like it is.
    #1catfish: I hope so, it seems there are a ton of trucks running up here

So today me and another guy went out to the same location. He drove out and I showed him where the water well-head was, and how to operate the tanker (He usually runs a Heating truck IIRC), but has been with the company I think he said about seven months. He hauled the first load out to the holding tanks, then I drove back to the water well, filled up, and hauled my first load to location.

Boss-Man met us at the site and picked me up and took me back to our yard near Cheyenne to grab a truck/tanker to take down into CO to dump some flow-back water that another guy had picked up this morning, but had to leave early for the day. I didn't know where this place was so Boss-Man calls a buddy at Intermountain to have one of his guys play tourguide and show me where the place was located, and what to do when I got there. Pretty much a 35 mile straight shot south out of Hereford CO. Pull up into an area between two collection hoses which is sloped so the back of your tanker is lower. A couple guys will hook up hoses and gravity feed the water off while you go in and fill out a work ticket.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  6. Hanzerik

Thanks Received:
    Picked up a load of fresh water this morning, dumped it in a clean Frac tank. Now sitting here to wait to suck out dirty water after the other Frac tanks have been washed.

7. 1catfish

Thanks Received:
    cool picture, ilike how you can pull through the bay and stop with trailer tires in the low spot.

8. Hanzerik

Thanks Received:
    A few pictures from today

A little traffic jam
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have to crawl on your back under there to attach a female fitting to the frac tank so you can attach your hose to get all of the stuff out after they have been basically "steam cleaned".
    [​IMG]

Another driver moving frac tanks around
    [​IMG]

9. 1catfish

Thanks Received:
    great pictures, keep it up.

10. Hanzerik

Thanks Received:
    No pictures today but basically spent the day doing the same thing. Yesterday after getting back from Colorado I dropped the tanker from that truck (winch truck which was needed to move tanks around), and hooked up to it with a new truck we got yesterday...another K/W but without a winch. The new truck is nice, but man it rattles on those dirt roads. At least I don't have to drive with the windows down with a noisy turbo and very loud jake. Kind of surprised me that they let this newb drive their shiny "new" truck.

Sucked out a bunch of frac tanks after they had been steam cleaned, then pumped that back into another frac tank they are using to separate the small amount of oil from flow-back water. Then sucked up a load of nasty water out of that tank for the someone to take down to Colorado to the recycling location.

jojomo Thanks this.