Highest overall paying companies for new drivers?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by itwasthebest92, Oct 20, 2016.

1. itwasthebest92

itwasthebest92 Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Who would they be? I don't just mean in terms of CPM either. I'm talking as far as idiling, tarp, bonuses, essentially the most bang for buck. And I mean as far as actually being on the job and driving the truck, because if I'm not home then to me I'm still at work. Even if I'm not driving and sleeping in the truck or motel, I still consider that work.

Any suggestions? Is there any resource that shows average paychecks for different companies? I live in new jersey

Edit: forgot to mention I'm looking mainly into flatbed and tanker, since I've heard they are more physically demanding. But local is also something I'm interested in, even if its 10-12 hour days.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Your other thread answered most of these questions.

4. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    You are going to be sorely disappointed no matter how much you make if you are going to add in all the off duty and sleeping time as working hours.

Say you make $65,000 a year, sounds OK, take 2 weeks at home every quarter, so that leaves 44 weeks of working.

That comes out to $1477.27 a week, not too bad.
    Daily that comes out to $211.04
    And at 24 hrs that breaks down to $8.79 an hour.

Look at it however you want, but if you sit and think you are out here running hard for $8.79 an hour you are probably going to be POed most of the time.

Thull, LuDiesel, BUMBACLADWAR and 3 others Thank this.
  5. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    I don't think you should count sleep into work time.Still,even without including sleep in work time it's nothing to write home about.Especially since there is no overtime pay.
    If you could only drive without stops,downtimes etc the money would be good even without overtime pay but you can't.
    Per diem help this calculation a bit but when you take into account that you basically have no life I don't think it's worth it.
    It bugs me more and more every week and I am just trying to make it till December.

pattyj Thanks this.
  6. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    The OP is the one counting sleep time as work. My point was don't do it.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Does that mean the mechanics in the shop should get paid for their commute to and from work every day? I read that somewhere some clowns are saying the mechs and office personel pay should start as soon as their alarm goes off at home each morning.

KMac Thanks this.
  8. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Well,in a sense they should just like everyone should.One of pros of being OTR driver is that you commute to and from work only twice a week or even less.Of course employers will argue that it is already included in the pay and it's not their fault you live 200 miles from your work place.

9. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    No, getting to work is on you not the employer. This is what happens when we start down the road to an entitlement mentality.

10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Just counting the onduty hours you work is averages around 10.00 an hour.I did Some math work with a couple companies and that's what I got figured after taxes.It really was disappointing.Its better to find a driving job that pays by the hour rather then by the mile.

diesel drinker Thanks this.
  11. TruckDrivingtn

TruckDrivingtn Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Maryville Tn

Too late we are already there......

Claysapparel and KMac Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.