Highway 400 or 54 Kansas

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TigerShark, Oct 19, 2016.

1. TigerShark

TigerShark Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Have been on both roads once, which one will DOT set up on if anyone knows?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I use US 54 pretty frequently and have never seen DOT set up on it. I usually get 54 from Tucumcarri NM thur TX OK and KS.

rabbiporkchop and TigerShark Thank this.
  4. TigerShark

Nov 5, 2015
    I'm taking it from wichitah to Joplin. 400 has a lot of roadwork lately.

5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    It's complicated, but if you REALLY need to skate by any DOT there's a series of dirt farm roads to run across Kansas. Best just to have your CB on and be legal anyway.

If you are legal and just want to run (assuming to or from Tucumcari, NM to Wichita, KS) then US-54 the whole way. I've run that a lot, but have NEVER seen an open scale or surprise inspection point (other than entering NM).

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Let me say this.

Whatcha worried about DOT? Come on. Seriously. Be legal.

Yes you will find many stories about working around DOT etc.. and all sorts of bad non legal stuff. But those days are finished. You are a professional driver, choice of routes should provide for best least resistance to your ability to maintain 70 or whatever for hours or days. In this case it's 54. #### you for worrying about a spot of DOT waiting to talk with you. Come on bud, get some extry coffee and munchies for them. least you can do is make their day a little more easier during inspections.

Remember that any DOT if they are mean and really predatory they WILL find something. YOU will pay.

So chill. Roll on. Hell with the DOT... they are not the problem today.

MachoCyclone and Rusty Trawler Thank this.
  7. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    If there IS some kind of surprise inspection point along US-54 AND you elect to run the dirt roads, then be prepared for some fun times. I've run these into oil rigs and wind farms. Plenty of bridges rated for 10 tons or less and if it's raining then chaining is in the cards. They have sticky mud up there.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    For me in NM vs DOT is up on the old Raton road, I think called 287 They would be waiting up on the summit for me when I come up there looking for the big road to run to Denver. But spend a few moments on the little scales under each wheel being light on fuel is not a problem.

Tucamari is a small stop I prefer to bypass due to too many people coming up and pestering for a ride out of state or something. That's just too much.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I always stop at Tucumcari, just because I like the name of the town and writing it in my logbook.

x1Heavy and Rusty Trawler Thank this.
  10. TigerShark

Nov 5, 2015
    I'm legal. I'm empty. Everytime I have gone through an open port they always check my logs. Check my paperwork and always have been rude or make up rules that aren't even in the book. I was always nice and respectful in the beginning but it's getting old especially since they never find anything and I walk out 30 minutes later like I've been in time out. I get they gave a job to do, but I'm not a fan at all.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    54 from Wichita to Joplin would run you out of route some. Never have seen DOT set up anywhere other than the that old weigh station at Crestline on 400/160 Jct. Unless your truck has an obvious defect and your passed or meet a trooper, i wouldn't worry about it.
    Construction sucks but going way out of the way to avoid it doesn't seem wise.

michaelg Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.