Hiring O/O vs Company Driver and a few other questions...

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Goat12, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Goat12

Goat12 Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2015
    I've been in the industry for more than 10 years. I'm at a point that I want to take on some risk and purchase/lease a truck and trailer(Cottrelle CX) to run one of the lanes. Keeping the trailer full of cars every trip isn't a problem and cash flow isn't an issue.

If I decide to buy/lease a new truck I want to be in complete control of the truck/maintenance and driver schedule.

Is there any advantage to hire an O/O for my situation?

If I hire I driver I want someone with tons of experience . What type of questions would I want to ask a driver that I would be interviewing?

How should I setup pay for the driver? If every trip is roughly the same distance would it be better to pay per trip with a bonus if the target transit times are met? Should I just stick with a CPM and a fee per each vehicle loaded/unloaded? How are other companies who have company drivers doing it?

I've noticed that some companies have been adding new Volvos to their fleet. Are they worth looking at and are they more reliable to justify the higher cost vs other manufactures like Western Star?

If you could get any new truck and trailer what would it be and why?

Is having a peoplenet type of system installed on just one truck going to save me office time? Or is the extra paperwork (logs, fuel etc) not that time consuming when running just one truck. I want my driver to always run legal with his logs.

Sorry for all the questions but these are the only problems I have left to figure out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    First, the only way you can have complete control of the truck is to put an employee in it, not an owner operator, as that would make it his truck not yours. As for pay, any car hauler worth anything is going to want $80,000 or more per year, depending on how often you get them home, the type of work you do such as new cars out of the port vs. used stuff from an auction or dealer. Most smaller companies pay their drivers a percentage of the run, usually 20-30%, on the books with workers comp covered by the company. Cents per mile is not often used to pay car haul drivers, to give you an example, if I broke out my driver pay in cpm they would make about .90 to $1.00 per mile, they get 25% of the load but do not do many miles, my trucks average less than 80,000 miles a year, some weeks we do less than 1,000 a week but move 40-60 units.

As for chassis manufacturers, it is really an individual preference, I do like Volvo's but wouldn't rule out a Western Star, Pete, or Freightliner if the options, specs, and price was right. Your best resale value is usually on a Pete, but WS and Volvo do hold their value as well. As for the trailer, Cottrell makes the best stinger on the market in my opinion, the model depends again on what you are hauling. New cars from the port or railhead will require a strap trailer such as the CX09, whereas used units in/out of an auction have less restrictions on how you load them, for those units I would choose a 7509 as a easy load starter trailer. If you are doing mixed loads of POV's cross country than a high rail model with fully independent decks would give you more versatility, but they are harder to learn how to operate. A good car haul equipment dealer would be able to help you choose the best truck/trailer combination based on your accounts and experience level of your driver.

People Net is not really worth it as a one truck company, if you were leased to a carrier such as United Road they would have use for the system, but you can use a more simpler tracking device for the truck if you are worried about it, Rand McNally makes a tracking and electronic log device that integrates with their navigation systems and provides state line crossing reports for IFTA, log auditing, etc. I don't think this is required, if you can't trust your driver in the car haul industry you will have lots of problems, this isn't an industry where you can put just anybody behind the wheel, and the way car haul works your driver really needs the flexibility to do as they see fit, not as some desk jockey watching a box thinks they should operate.

Hope this helps, good luck with your new venture.

4. Thumper

Thumper Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2008
    As Brian above stated I wouldn't work for a company hauling cars if they paid per mile.
    I make 30% and im home everynight i think i used my CLC card 3 times last year?

Ive drove almost every model car carrier out there and i like the new volvo its alot lighter and lower then the pete.
    The more you can fit the more you both will make.
    Also i use to drive sleepers but after driving a daycab going on 5 years now i would never get back into a sleeper.
    The extra money you make with a daycab will more then makes up for the motel at night "IF" you stay on the road.

Not to mention with a sleeper fighting to find a parking spot at truck stops,waking up in the middle of the night to piss,having to wait for showers etc

far as headrack and trailer personally i think Cottrell is the best out there easy to load and works better then anything ive drove. I prefer the nexgen quick loader myself ive drove a highrail for years and can fit almost anything on it you can with the highrail and if someone doesnt know a highrail they will be all day loading and tearing up units.

And why not check into the varous phone Apps coming out now thats what we use and i hated it at first but i like it now saves time getting and sending loads etc.

SQ609, Ziggy319, Goat12 and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. Goat12

Goat12 Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Thanks for the great information.

- Percentage of the load makes complete sense now. I ran the numbers and it would put my driver at a min of 80k a year.

- The round tip distance is 2200 miles. I assumed that a sleeper would be the best option and be preferred by the driver. With your experience and suggestions the day cab is probably the better route.

- How much loading time would a quickloader trailer save vs a highrail assuming the driver was experienced using both? The loads will be a mix of vehicle sizes so maximizing load size will be important. There's no specific restrictions but straps would be preferred in case I do start to ship some new vehicles from the port.

Thanks again. Really great advice.

6. Thumper

Thumper Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2008
    All Drivers are Different some have Peter Envy lol and need those big large cars. I prefer making cash thats why i like the daycab it will make more money

Far as loading times that also depends on the driver i can load 9 units in 30-45m depending on whats going on.
    On some loads a high rail would make it easier to stack but if they know what they are doing they can get Most all loads on the Quick Loader.
    And yes id suggest getting a strap truck far as i know all new cars require those now

Goat12 and brian991219 Thank this.
  7. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    I just sold a 2014 Volvo with Cottrell 3 car headrack and cx11 highrail. No doubt cottrell is the best new car haulers available. The volvo d13 was pretty reliable over the 130k miles I owned it, however I would really hesitate to buy another one. In my opinion Volvo service sucks. They cater to the big fleets not owner operators. You can expect a minimum 3 to 4 days wait to get them to look at anything. Then you wait for them to get parts as they stock nothing. Warranty coverage was a joke. They found a way to exclude darn near everything, saying they sold it as an unfinished vehicle. I paid to replace dpf (cracked ) turbo downpipe (flange broken) $2200 . Under 1 year and under 100k. I hear good things about Peterbilt as far as own op
    service. I know that my truck empty was well over 44k, while a similar Pete is less.

Terry270, brian991219 and Goat12 Thank this.
  8. Goat12

Goat12 Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2015
    What are your thoughts or recommendations on APU's for a sleeper cab? Is it worth spending +10k more and could finding mounting space be difficult?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.