Home Time

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dg23, Jul 31, 2015.

1. dg23

dg23 Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2015
    I was thinking about going into trucking with Swift...They have a terminal here in Atlanta...my lease is up at my apartment...Im not planning on renewing it or getting another place since Ima be on the road months on end...and I was wondering when I have to take hometime can I take it somewhere other than the state I live? Like if I wanted to stay at there terminal in Vegas or Virginia or anywhere I wanted to take hometime?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Most companies allow a driver to take hometime anywhere they want as long as they give enough lead time so the dispatcher can schedule it.
    Why did you choose Swift? It's OK as long as you know they have driver facing cameras and sound monitoring technology inside the trucks; can hear noises, talking, etc.
    Some people can deal with that and some of us won't deal with it. Personal choice.
    Several other companies with CDL training don't have those big brother features.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  4. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yep doesn't even need to be at a terminal. Anywhere there's a relatively safe place to park a truck, like a truck stop. FYI it's a $21 cab fare from the TA off exit 33 to the Las Vegas strip.

dg23 Thanks this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    As long as your on the "48 state fleet". If you're on a regional fleet, they may not want to send you clear to the "other side of the world". Usually they plug in a "home location" into the system when you begin employment. This is the go-to location when you're flagged for hometime. Some times you have to remind them repeatedly that this needs to be changed TEMPORARILY this time around and hope they don't assume the change is a permanent one.

Keep your expectations reasonable. Don't expect your carrier to be your personal travel agent, and don't expect your "new driver job" to take you where you want, when you want.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    dg23 Thanks this.
  6. Swedish Chef

Swedish Chef Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Swift would be a perfect company to do that at. They have terminals all over the US, which means finding a place to park the truck on home time is a cinch. Rent a car & go do some sightseeing!

dg23 Thanks this.
  7. GenericUserName

GenericUserName Road Train Member

May 17, 2014
    Santa Monica, CA
    Actually they prefer it. They dont want you to have a home. They want you in that truck.

HorseShoe Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.