Honest assesment of Averitt

Discussion in 'Averitt' started by David Williams, Oct 6, 2015.

1. David Williams

David Williams Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2015
    currently in truck student school..seriously considering Averitt as they hire student drivers...don't really want dollar general or like accounts job...looking more for truckload job I guess..more no touch in other words...they have a terminal where I live here in cola, sc...give me realistic info on avg. miles..pay..home time etc etc whatever you can tell me....any info on this terminal as well...thanks in advance to any replies...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Simms

Simms Bobtail Member

May 22, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Hey David,

I'll try to give you a little insight into Averitt TL. I've been in Averitt TL for 3 years now and run out of Knoxville (KNX).

It's a pretty good gig with a lot of the no touch freight you mentioned. Every once in a blue moon you may get a petco load which will require you to pallet jack it off the trailer onto a store dock. But they are few and far between.

Running out of Columbia I would bet you would get about 2200-3200 miles per week.

You get in once a week, most of the time for 34-44 hours. But if you want to run and make more there's always something to do.

I'm unsure what they hire in at nowadays but when I started it was 37cpm, it may be higher. Top out is 45cpm after 5 years. You can get to 43.5 within 2 to 3 years I believe. They have a scheduled pay raise system.

I've only been to the Colombia yard a few times because it doesn't have on site fuel but it seems pretty decent for one of the smaller yards.

Averitt is a big company with many yards and here in the last year they have dropped a lot of money into the truckload driver support centers including workout equipment, 65 inch samsung tvs,washer and dryers, free WiFi and all new showers.

Another cool thing is since Averitt does LTL to you could always transfer to a local gig after 6 months.

They also have a division that does concert equipment and tours called On Tour Logistics, they can stay out for months at a time though.

Last but not least their health insurance is top notch.

Hope that gives you a little info to go off of and good luck in school!

4. David Williams

Oct 6, 2015
    Thanks so much for the info Simms...1st question ..you being out of Knoxville are you a Vols fan...as my blood runs orange...2cnd ..gotta lot to learn when it comes to trucker lingo....what is LTL...also glad I came to this forum instead of just going off of reviews as there were MANY there that were not so good...but realize many out there will always complain...hope that's the case anyhow...after all no job is perfect...but most in this forum seem overall pleased with Averitt..do you find this to be true...

5. Simms

Simms Bobtail Member

May 22, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Yup, I'm a vols fan, lived here my entire life (32) so it would be tough not to be, even though they have been getting it together since coach Fulmer left.

LTL is less than load. Basically city pickup/deliverly. Which would be many stops in a day around Columbia but you would go to your home at night.

With LTL there is also shuttle which can be in a sleeper or daycab. They daycab shuttle driver would run at night say for example taking all the city pickups to the Norcross service center in GA, then bringing back city freight to be delivered in Columbia as a back haul. The sleeper shuttle would be kind of the same deal but you would just bounce from service center to service center during the week, mostly nights.

These are opertunities after 6 months in TL and they have a opening which they update on a job Hotline every Tuesday.

You're right. no job is perfect and most if not all the time you get what you put into it. But to be honest some drivers are their own worst enemy.

I've lurked on this site for a couple of years, I noticed a lot of drivers logging on to other sub forums and telling their tales. But I always noticed the Averitt sub forum lacking in posts. Must not be a lot to complain about lol.

David Williams Thanks this.
  6. David Williams

Oct 6, 2015
    Well thanks once again...particularly for coming out of your lurker status to help me out lol...very very seriously considering Averitt now...1 more ?...thought I saw something earlier that Averitt trucks are automatics ..is this true..one more also...if was able to eventually land the LTL local gig is there good money to be made there also...on the Vols..life long fan....could be unbeaten this year...but can't hold on to leads....went to the Florida game 2 weeks ago...1st time at the Swamp....very depressing at the end to say the least...oh well..again thanks for the info...

7. Simms

Simms Bobtail Member

May 22, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Yup, all trucks are automatics for exception of a few old timers holding onto their old freightliners.

But the auto are great in my opinion. I would be hard pressed to go back to shifting gears. Especially in traffic. Plus they let you focus more on the road and not what rpm you need to be in which is safer I think for someone starting out.

Most of all the trucking companies are switching to them because of fuel milage anyway.

The money is there in both truckload and LTL. LTL gets paid by the hour, TL by the mile plus activity pay. Last I heard city top out was 23 something a hour.

Yep that Florida game was interesting to say the least lol

David Williams Thanks this.
  8. Mulholland316

Mulholland316 Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Knoxville TN
    Hello, just little insight to Averitt My Fiance, her dad has worked for averitt around 20 years, out of Knoxville branch He makes good money, we have spoken about it many many times.... he makes like .50-.55 cents a mile an is home every single night, pay i starting at .38 cents per mile an gradual pay raises. 1500$ for tuition reimbursement 500$ at 90 days, 1,000$ at 6 months. Flat bed pays .43 per mile starting .44 cpm at the end of 6 months
    .45 cpm at the end of 12 months
    .46 cpm at the end of 18 months
    also other pay .
    - $15 load secure fee paid on every load (for strapping, chaining, etc.).
    - $60 tarp pay
    - $12.50 on re-tarp (in the event of a stop off)
    - $25 stop pay (not to include origin or destination)
    - $7.50 for a load picked up from yard and required to un-tarp before delivery
    - Breakdown ($14/hr: takes effect after 2 hrs. not to exceed 10 hrs in a 24 hr period)
    - Layover ($100 after a 24 hr period- allowed 50 miles)
    - Detention ($20/hr after 2 hrs for majority of customers)
    - Referral bonuses after referred applicant works for 90 days
    - Fuel bonus= earn an additional 1 cpm if exceed baseline truck/ transmission MPG averages; paid quarterly.
    Also if have less than 4 Months Experience you will be paid 600$ per week for 1-6 weeks, then be on Team if Van, if flat bed will be Solo.

-Regional drivers make
    .37 cpm after training
    .38 cpm at 90 days
    .40 cpm at 6 months
    .41 cpm at 12 months
    .42 cpm at 18 months
    43.5 cpm at 2 years
    .44 cpm at 3 years
    44.5 cpm at 4 years
    Top out at .45 cpm at 5 years

You will be paid $600/ week while training; training time can range from 1-3 weeks. After training you will start at .40 cpm.
    -Dedicated Flex Student Driver
    Students will also earn $1,500 tuition assistance bonus. ($500 payable upon completing 90 days and $1,000 upon completing 6 months)

After successful completion of your training your pay scale will be:
    Start at .37 cpm
    After 90 days- .40 cpm
    After 12 months- .41 cpm
    After 18 months- .42 cpm
    After 24 months- .43 cpm
    After 3 years- .44 cpm
    After 4 years- .445 cpm
    After 5 years- .45 cpm

Team shuttle/shuttle -
    Pays the Best pay in averitt
    between .50 to .56

travrich87 and David Williams Thank this.
  9. David Williams

Oct 6, 2015
    Thanks for the info very much....any others that would like to chime in would love to hear from you...

10. Mulholland316

Mulholland316 Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Knoxville TN
    David is your school fiancéd or not, also
    I'm considering averitt as well... Would you entertain possibility of Team shuttle ?

11. Av8torcrj

Av8torcrj Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2015
    I have recently finished CDL school and have completed the interview/application process with Averitt. My experience and interaction with them has been nothing but professional and positive. Of the numerous options I had for my first driving position, this organization had the most to offer and the best/most effective and proactive recruiters. I have a strong appreciation for the image the company chooses to project. I think if what I've both read and been told is reality, I will be happy with my decision and look forward to orientation next week.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.