Hoping for a scrap of advice from the Vets out there ...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WonderlandSC, Jul 3, 2015.

Are recruiters trustworthy?

1. They're usually trustworthy.

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Never trust a recruiter. Liars. They're all liars!

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  3. Recruiters have guidelines. Yes, they are trustworthy!

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Recruiters are unreliable at times.

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  1. WonderlandSC

WonderlandSC Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2015
    This thread is more about whether a "newbie" should trust what recruiters tell them over the phone.

I am single, 40, with no kids. I have a very small office job. I'm not looking to become rich. I am also aware of the hardships of OTR, but I want this! I'm even looking forward to the solitude. This is what I want to do for a living. That said, I've heard how strict companies are b/c they have to be. I have (3) seatbelt violations in 5-years. The most recent was in 2015. They don't appear on my MVR, but I can't hide them. I'm too scared they'll find out. Seatbelts are a huge deal for CDL holders. I also have one 2011 accident, where a kid ran a red light and hit me and (1) moving violation from 2006 when I tried to save a plate of Chinese food and rolled through a stop sign.

Be honest. Be brutal. How strict are companies? The recruiter from Prime said that none of those things should be a problem, but I'm weary. I know I have to be honest. That's all I know for sure. Thank you for your time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Most companies only go back 3 years.

WonderlandSC Thanks this.
  4. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I wouldn't trust a recruiter as far as I could throw them...

As far as your seat belt tickets I never used to wear a seat belt until I started driving a truck... I never drive my pov or truck without it now... Your accident in 2011 isn't an issue if it wasn't your fault... And the moving violation is nearly 10 years old you should be just fine getting a job...

Chewy352 and WonderlandSC Thank this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I'm not sure how many will react to the seatbelt violations. On most applications they ask for accidents/tickets for the previous __ years (3-5 typically) just be honest, if the others fall out of the requested date range, don't worry about them and don't mention them.

Recruiters will
    1 - tell you what they THINK you want to hear, so let them talk, don't give your preference away in the beginning.

2 - Will always give you the high end of the "typical" earnings range. There will be most who will not make these numbers, regardless of effort.

3- A few in-house recruiters will be honest, especially if they have a good program to offer.

6. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Depends on the company. You shouldn't have a problem . Check with your home state to see if that ticket is still on your record. Most if not all the states remove moving violations after a certain length of time. My home state removes violations after 7 years.

7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Recruiters are dirty, filthy , sold out, scum. They are not worthy of using your excrement to brush their teeth with. They have no idea what the job entails, but are willing to sell you into the job for a few lousy bucks.

Your driving record is fine. Disclose everything. Complete honesty can't be challenged.

rambler, Big Don and WonderlandSC Thank this.
  8. Ken Worth

Ken Worth Medium Load Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Great Plains
    In what area are you located? I can't answer a general question about "all" recruiters....how could anyone?......but "our" recruiters are honest and those violations don't seem like a big deal as long as the seat belt violations happened in a car and you don't plan on repeating that in a truck. A truck seat belt violation is a huge hit on the CSA score, so just make sure you have it on any time you're moving. (Most truck seat belts have a loosener so it doesn't strangle you.)

9. RickyDickyDo

RickyDickyDo Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Loveland, Colorado
    Ask them to put it in writing, that will answer most of the questions.

misterG and WonderlandSC Thank this.
  10. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    From 18 to 25 I probably got over 10 tickets. At 29 I got my cdl and have been a law abiding driver since then. If insurance has been checking further than 3 years, the industry would have a driver shortage for sure

11. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    For me tnere were other things that mattered when I was choosing a company that I didnt need a recruiter for tne answers.... for example, I wanted to work for a company that had a terminal near my home... I did not want to be put on a greyhound, bussed hours and hours away and put up in a cheap motel or company housing... so I compiled a list of companies around my area....

the company I just moved to... the terminal is 7 minutes away from my house...

I also spent some time at some truck stops around me and talked to drivers... not just one or two.. but several and got a a pretty good idea of the company from a drivers perspective...

Also, time on google fining complaints and weeding throjgh them...

WonderlandSC and Ken Worth Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.