Hopper DDG problem

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by krazman, Mar 21, 2015.

1. krazman

krazman Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Wichita,Ks
    my boss was jsut pissed and told me to give him his truck back because I was not happy when I informed him of the dangerous activity of climbing in that trailer to poke at the ddg . slid down that thing into hole several time s. When empty that ddg makes the metal like greased ice . Can not believe the insurance companies where we unload allow drivers to climb up in ther e. Osha would #### a brick if they knew . but then mostly coops so they probably do not have to comply with rules others do .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. krazman

Dec 11, 2007
    Wichita,Ks
    wish i had that option . I would gladly use an end dump if boss bought one . that is my preferred trailer . just started this hopper stuff. I plan to figure out a way to do this . It has to be done and there has to be a good way to make it easier . Boss may swing for onwe of the electric vibrating " jack hammers " .

4. krazman

Dec 11, 2007
    Wichita,Ks
    Okay so what I did today is an experiment . Firs toff I have a very light weight aluminum ladder about 7 feet long . I put it in my bows . Once I get that hole knocked out I will drop it down to the grate and climb down to a level that I can break away that packed stuff at bottom without risking my life hanging from a bow with one hand and poking with a broom stick . I also boughta big scraper from harbor freight tools for this . should be very helpful in breaking the rest loose .
    Secondly I took some 3/8 " rope . tied a quick release hook on one end to snap aroung the bow . tied a lawn mower blade on other end to hang down to the trap door . Rand the rope thropugh a piece og PVC pipe that I cut in 3 pieces and glued fittings on to unscrew them as needed . so my plan is for breaking open that first hole . Pull up on rope banging it into packed stuff . As the hole gets higher I will remove a section of the pipe . I think this is a good one but will not know until I test it this week .
    I tried to make a blower with some 1/2 " pvc . Hooked iot to the glad hand line . Not enough air to blow away product to poke pipe down into it . ( tried it on a load of eura . )
    also i only hauled 80K last time . usually 83 to 85 K . Yea I know ..... illegal load ... anyway although I think I got a dry load from the shed I dumped it on ground and brake checked it right out in under an hour . So I am going to try another 80K load to see if that is a factor . Less weight + less packing ? We will see next week .

5. krazman

Dec 11, 2007
    Wichita,Ks
    so the ropes with things attached to them made the hole open up very quickly . Then the scraper I bought from harbor freight made things even easier . Washing the trailer out before loading made it even better . Was taking at least two people 4 hours to get this out and now I do it by myself in about 2 . How ever the ddg I have been getting has been very dry so I do not know what is going to happen when I go get the wet stuff again . Going to try some spray on carnuba wax . they have some made with teflon but I have to order that . Cant find any around here.
    Dry load I have now has been on my truck for 3 days . We will see how long this takes to dump.

6. rhock

rhock Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2010
    hays, ks
    3X6 aluminum angle iron welded to the inside top of the trailer for a walkway end cut the end of a 12 foot stair rail into a wedge for a "poker". Never took me longer than an hour to unload and it was usually closer to 20 minutes.

7. rhock

rhock Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2010
    hays, ks
    The stair rail easily straps into the bows for storage and if you drop the stair rail into the pit on accident the soft wood will easily break up and not mess up the dragline/auger.

8. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Hauled too much DDG main thing is not to load it hot. Longest unload I ever had was 2 hours every other time less than an hour to unload depending on the pit Size. Vibrators really help do you have ag or commodity hoppers? Makes a huge difference. Get a scraper like one used to chip ice in the winter off a sidewalk TSC sells them for like 20 or so. Get a hole going and keep pushing works well for bubble gum that's been loaded hot. Shake the trailer with the door open completely as well works to get it flowing. And once flowing don't let it plug up and stop.

9. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Cooking oil spray or cheap wal mart olive oil spread lightly with a rag works good for me. +vibrators

10. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    No.... I haul everything so a drop in kind of liner would just be a hassle for me. More stuff to keep clean.

Thank you, though

11. markk

markk Medium Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I have wondered why hoppers do not have liners in them . I normally pull end dump and a liner is a must if you want clay and mud out or anything in winter .
    the best thing I have found other than that is a nice smooth trailer that has not been scratched up ( wish I had one ) and power washed as much as possible and after drying , some spray wax . Works great even on old pitted hopper . Do not ever fall for that Mop and Glo lie . I poured a little in one top corner to test and it is just sticky . Actually has a agent in it to make it non slippery on your floor .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.