Hopper, Dump O/O's & Drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wheathauler, May 31, 2009.

1. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    I would try to get a good older trailer to start out with... I know that's hard to find right now. They should be cheaper and more available after the fall harvest. Sometimes you can get a deal with the guys who rent out the trailers for the summer and fall harvest.

If this winter is as bad for hauling as last years you might be able to get one at a good price, say in January.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    I got a repreive from the nasty loads. Grabbed Milo out of West, TX ( yes the town not the area :) ) Down to Cargill in houston new hours 7-5 must have been 14 trucks in front of me but it was quick. No truck weigh just product. Then over to Bastrop, TX for a load of poultry meal to Flagstaff, AZ which I'll kick off Monday AM.. New Leas-or is great as is the new dispatcher. Things are looking up.:biggrin_25514:
    Still want to slap a 13 speed in the ol'girl and up her HP to 460/1850tq.. Should pull the hills much better and give me better travel times, but she needs new shoes first.

New hopper is nice but I'm disappointed that its not much lighter than the old wilson. I was looking forward to loading 52k :biggrin_25513: but I'm stuck at 51k

Kansas Thanks this.
  4. dairyman

dairyman <b> Hopper Thread Greeter</b>

Oct 31, 2009
    Ky.,wait'n in line
    5mouths2feed, glad you got a good load!

5. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Hauling milo today. Sign on the elevator door said we are full...so hauling milo out of there to Hutch. Should start cutting milo sometime this week. Looks like could be a wet week unfortunately.

6. RW.

RW. Heavy Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    west central IL
    Kansas, I'd keep an eye on truckpaper dot com and keep an ear open waiting in line at elevators. I'd say the best time to buy a hopper is probably winter and the best time to sell one is probably right before harvest. Shop around, there'll be some good used ones for sale, but sometimes not as quickly as you'd like to find them. I think your trailer rent is tax deductable though.

Still hauling some beans out of the field, but they are getting more scarce now. Seems like the warm weather we've had the past few days might have helped dry the corn down a little. Maybe we won't have the doom and gloom scenarios of the elevators only being open half a day come true, we will find out shortly after this rain passes through tonight or tomorrow.

Kansas Thanks this.
  7. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Still hauling milo from Chase to Hutch. They're still full and I seem to be the only one doing it. The other trucks must still be busy with harvest.

8. RAG

RAG R.I.P.

Nov 23, 2007
    Tonga

I know I'm a dumb city boy but what is Milo
    Google or Wiki were no help
    thanks
    rag

9. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Milo is also called sorghum. I believe that's how you spell it. That's just what we call it here.

RAG Thanks this.
  10. RAG

RAG R.I.P.

Nov 23, 2007
    Tonga

What is it used for?

11. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    Read this.....

</H2>

RAG Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.