Hopper, Dump O/O's & Drivers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by wheathauler, May 31, 2009.

1. easeway

easeway Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2008
    NC
    Pharm

Are you going to be able to stay busy in the winter with hopper loads? What will you be hauling? Hope all is going well for you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. easeway

easeway Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2008
    NC
    What are the average weight of a hopper bottom trailer?

4. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    easeway

That's a tough question. I have a 42 foot timpte with 60 inch sides. It probably runs around 9,000 lbs or so.It is an aluminum trailer with aluminum wheels. Some other hopper people might know what theirs weigh.

5. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC

Wheathauler... am I?

LOL I don't know, I assume so. I'm hauling last years harvest right now to make room for this years, and winter has long past.

I'm told livestock are eating grass right now, but will need lots more feed when it goes away.

6. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    Any of you ever check the weight difference on the spread hoppers compaired to the closed tandems? And with the spread is it harder to unload, does it take away room for material?

7. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Pharm

If you made it through this winter you can probably survive others. This winter around here for grain was one of the worst I've seen. Jan and Feb it was dead.

PharmPhail Thanks this.
  8. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    I didn't start pulling til mid-march though.

So, dead in Jan and Feb huh? Do you pull something else or take the time off? Or just wait for loads and do what you can?

9. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Les2

I'm not sure what the weight difference would be but the spread would probably weigh more. Usually a spread is around 46ft with either a 8 or 10 ft spread between axles. I think the spread has bigger traps, wouldn't think be harder to unload.

Actually you can haul more with a spread being a longer trailer. They use them for meal, midds. Spreads around here can get close to 85,500 gross.They only problem with spread is nasty on tight turns. The front spread axle tires don't last long. I had a farmer use spread going in and out of fields but he really didn't like it.

10. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Pharm

I usually try to save money up during the summer and fall harvests to tide me over if I think the winter hauling might be bad. The previous years I hauled almost year round going to an ethanol plant. This winter the plant was down so it was tougher.

I just sat,there basically wasn't anything to haul that paid good. Of course I'm in a different position than you. My kids are grown and my expenses aren't that bad.

In your case probably get what you can. You should have built up contacts with brokers, farmers by this winter.

PharmPhail Thanks this.
  11. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    Never thought of the fact they'd have to be longer. They might be good out there but not around here...its 80k or pay the fine....LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.