Hotshot 1 ton world

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Jeffb1985, Oct 14, 2014.

1. OnlyTheFacts

OnlyTheFacts Bobtail Member

May 22, 2012
    TEXAS
    I don't have enough posts to message you yet but hit me up if you need help in our area

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jeffb1985

Jeffb1985 Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2013
    Yea will do I got a 40 ft flat with a new ram 3500. So far I've been doing good I started 3 weeks ago and have done well I run under my company Run N Gunning transport black dodge if you see me say what's up

4. OnlyTheFacts

OnlyTheFacts Bobtail Member

May 22, 2012
    TEXAS
    I just sent you a message. I run tx only but I have many friends that run back and forth to ND Williston patch. I hope everything's going well sounds like it is. I've got all kinds of spreadsheets, left over log books, many things you're welcome to. I've also got friends/acquaintances that can give you loads and such.
    As one independent business owner to another "good luck" the first year, even for someone who has been driving a while is tougher than you might be expecting.
    What are you hauling? Flatbed?

5. mojd81

mojd81 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Marshfield, Missouri
    Ok so i have a couple questions about hotshots, my fiance wants to do hotshot in our dodge ram 3500, so my questions are, does the truck and trailer need to be registered as a commercial vehicle for her to go do her CDL driving test? and what all does the pretrip inspections include for that kind of set up? any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

6. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I don't know that it needs to be registered as a commercial vehicle to take the CDL test, but will need apportioned plates on the truck to operate.

7. FarmerTransportation

FarmerTransportation Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Can I hear an "AMEN"?

I have already sat idle at home for 10 days waiting for a load that paid enough to make it worth turning on and hooking up. This is why I drive a little truck. With costs at .65 per mile, I can just about do that 2.00 one way but I really don't like to.

8. FarmerTransportation

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Here's what I've found the hard way.

CDL or not is based on the total GVWR of your truck/trailer combo. If your combo has a total GVWR of 26001 lbs or more you need a CDL to run it. I have a truck with 26000 gcwr, 15000 gvwr and trailer with 14000 gvwr. Less than 26001 truck means no apportioned. 29000 combined gvwr means combined registration and a CDL.

Apportioned is based on GCWR of your power unit. (Or so the DOT tells me. I'm in the middle of a battle with them right now.) GCWR is a number that is assigned by the manufacturer. If your GCWR is 26000 lbs or less, you do not need apportioned plates and you do not need IFTA stickers - but you do need a combined registration.

I'm fighting with the DOT because Ford advertises that my GCWR is 26000 lbs. 2003 Ford F450 dually, 6.0l diesel, 4:30 rear end. DOT in PA has rejected the combined registration because they don't believe that the GCWR can be 26000. The notary has re-sent the paperwork with Ford's charts, so stay tuned for further whining.

Now. As to the CDL test - the test has to be in the truck/trailer that will be used The truck/trailer has to be a configuration that requires a CDL to drive. So yes, the truck has to be commercial, subject to the rigamarole above.

9. fl0w3n

fl0w3n Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2015
    So if you need the truck/trailer combo you're going to drive in order to test, but you can't drive the combo legally until you have the CDL, how do you practice?

10. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    It has been unusually slow since the spring. So I have adopted the same approach as I use in winter. I slow down as the freight does. I wait for the loads. Normally in the summer I can work as much as I want. I don't have to be as careful as to where I go, knowing it is easier to work my way back home. This is the first summer I have experienced this.

11. FarmerTransportation

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    In PA (and I assume elsewhere) You take the written test to get your CDL permit, on which you are allowed to drive and practice with a fully licensed driver in the truck with you. The real pickle is getting the truck/trailer to the testing center to take the driving test. You have to find someone who has the time to ride with you and sit while you do the testing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.