How do I find which lanes are hot at the moment?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by dlstruck, Sep 23, 2016.

1. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    I'm a new O/O, just started 5 months ago. I've been doing regional and/or local work in the PNW running mostly OR, WA, and ID while I test out my truck and saved up some more reserves. I finally found a load to the east coast that was over $2/mile so I'll be heading out there next week.

I learned all of the best paying lanes in the PNW but know nothing about the rest of the US. When I was a company driver getting paid a %, the east coast always seemed to have better paying loads. Are there any tips or tricks you guys can give me to research lanes? Or should I just start searching manually? I use a basic $30 ITS account to find loads, do they have other tools that can help with this? They always try to sell me add-ons but I've always thought they were useless.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottlav46

scottlav46 Road Train Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Escanaba, MI
    i use a load board called 123loadboard.com...27 bucks a month and they have as a standard feature a lane average that serves pretty well in negotiation you should check it out especially since you are lookin at new lanes. I think there's a trial period of a couple weeks or something. I'll throw up a screen shot here in a sec so you know what I mean.

dlstruck and TruckDrivingtn Thank this.
  4. scottlav46

scottlav46 Road Train Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Escanaba, MI
    image.png This is a dry van/reefer load, the rate is the average for that lane over the last 90 days. Pretty Crummy rate you're probly better off stringing some loads together to get home lol anyways hope this helps

brian991219 and dlstruck Thank this.
  5. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    ITS has this, you can see what is picking up and dropping by state.

Screenshot (33).png

6. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    And they have this also.

Screenshot (34).png

scottlav46 and dlstruck Thank this.
  7. dlstruck

Sep 8, 2016
    Awesome, didn't know ITS had that. Is there any feature that lets you see what the average rates are? Or do you pay extra for that?

8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Upgrade to the ITS with automatic refresh or ditch it altogether and get DAT Power. The features are worth the $150 a month. If your livelihood is off load boards get the best tools possible and don't cheap out.

brian991219 and Oscar the KW Thank this.
  9. dlstruck

Sep 8, 2016
    I never bothered upgrading to auto refresh since I don't have the time to sit there and watch loads in real time anyways. I check as often as I can when I'm looking for loads.

Is DAT much better? How do they compare in the amount of loads posted? Do most brokers post on both?

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I don't sit there and stare at it either. Sure is nice if the window is open on there for the past 3 hours and I walk by just glancing at it everything is real time. Loads that get booked are actually taken down. Loads have posted rates without having to open the load, if the broker puts a rate on it. You kind of have to figure out which one works best for you.

I see more loads on DAT. Maybe where you run ITS is better? I like their hot markets maps - exactly the info you are asking about. They have info on tri-haul lanes that might interest you but I never use it. I seem to get much better loads from it. I use both but mostly DAT. In different areas one may be better than the other. They have a lot of the same loads. They also have brokers who post/use one but not the other.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  11. dlstruck

Sep 8, 2016
    Sounds like I'll have to get both for a few months and see which one is better or if I should keep both. I started out with the cheapest one at first just to get rolling and it worked out pretty well. Is DAT Power the best DAT plan?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.