How do I go about getting experience?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by ewa1980, May 23, 2013.

1. trucktick

trucktick Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Thank for the encouragement Basic. Not asking for a favour from anyone.
    "If anyone is willing to put you in a truck just shut your mouth and drive it"? Are you *#*$%&$ serious? You really want to be the one a new, in-experienced driver, in a sub-par vehicle smashes into? Maybe you think "oh, I'm in my new rig with moose guards and all, I'll be fine"? O.k, sure. Do you care for anyone, possibly a family member that would be driving a four wheeler, that said new-driver in bad vehicle would smash into? I don't think you have the right idea of what my question was in the first place and you just want to diminish someone who is asking for ADVICE or DIRECTION (not favours or hand-outs) maybe.

Maybe people out west are desperate for dz drivers willing to take lower pay (like under 20$ an hour) But out here (in southern- Onterrible) they seem to want AZ drivers for DZ work. Or they want exp. and other licenses/certificates. So I'm asking people who live/work out here that might know why that is or if they know someone (that they might have/do work for) who takes on new drivers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Basic

Basic Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Albertuh
    I don't think driving is hard. I think its a matter of time spent combined with attitude. The latter is whats going to cause problems. For example I keep an attentive attitude because I know you can be a good driver your whole life and then get caught off guard in an instant. A good driver isn't something that you are, its something you be.

On one hand your going to find it easier than you thought, on the other hand you have to restrain that attitude. Because you can't take things for granted. Thats the key.

I'm not suggesting that you drive without adequate licensing or testing to see if your fit to drive. I'm not suggesting that you drive unsafe equipment. I'm not trying to diminish you. I may be guilty of just skimming through this thread and not totally knowing where you are coming from or where your at. I thought those things were a given.. apparently not.

I would suggest finding seasonal work. They have a high turnover rate and you can usually find a place to fit in when they are filling out their roster at the beginning of the season. That is of course if they have safe equipment, your not running people over with moose bumpers, and you don't talk yourself out of a job.

4. JayTee

JayTee Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Biggest obstacle you're gonna have out here in Onterrible <-- (I like that!) is insurance. Seems all of us work for the insurance companies, ie: they tell us who they will insure and what hoops we gotta jump through, and it's a 1st class pain in the butt. Dunno where you are located, for OTR I've heard that Schneider National takes new folks on, they have a huge yard in Aberfoyle @ the 299 exit. Other than that, I really don't know. Maybe try a landscaping or gravel outfit driving a straight truck and work your way up from there. Best of luck.

trucktick Thanks this.
  5. trucktick

trucktick Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Thanks JayTee. Didn't know schneider had DZ vehicles. The school I did my DZ at was a recruiter for Schneider and they never mentioned them.

Basic, Sorry that came out so harsh. I don't want anyone thinking I'm asking for something for free or for someone to do ANYTHING for me. I didn't say anything about driving being hard. I said I'm having trouble finding work. I think driving is pretty easy, but that's because I like it soooo much. I'd definitely agree that no matter how much exp. someone has they can be caught off guard. Those are accidents. I'll also agree that attitude counts for alot, at any job. So does paying attention and reading everything:biggrin_255:. I don't understand what you mean by talking myself out of a job. Not trying to be snarky, just wanna know exactly what you mean instead of assuming and replying.

BTW the second best piece of advice anyone ever gave me was ; don't assume. Because when you do, you make an '###' out of 'u' and 'me'
    Best advice I ever got was "don't be sorry just don't do it". But that's one I brake all the time.:biggrin_25514:

6. JayTee

JayTee Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Crap, I shoulda read your earlier posts. Schneider may have DZ stuff, I really don't know, but they do training and licencing for AZ peeps as far as I know. And seeing as how you're in Hamilton (again, I shoulda read back farther), try Fluke Transport outta Hamilton as they do have straight trucks and look up some of the scrap dealers around the area, I gotta think they can't ALL run junk. and FWIW, as nasty as it sounds, stay far far away from most of the new outfits in Brampton.

trucktick Thanks this.
  7. JayTee

JayTee Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2013
    GFL or Green for Life, Laidlaw waste, Waste Management, BFI all seem to look for peeps regularly as well as cement outfits like CBM. I live close to Picton ON and I've seen WM and BFI ads offering up to $25/hour, overtime etc. for guys down here, so although the recycling guys have to hump along pretty steady they seem to be paying good jack.

trucktick Thanks this.
  8. trucktick

trucktick Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Thanks again JayTee! I hadn't even thought about the scrap guys! D'oh!
    GFL,WM, (don't know abou BFI or Laidlaw) are offering 16-18 around here, but I'm gonna send in my resume! (beats 0$per hour that I'm making now)
    Fluke and the Brampton co.'s I've heard some nasty things about. But those were from/about AZ stuff. I'll bring a res into Fluke but there's no way I'm gonna go out to Brampton everyday for the offers I've seen!

Thanks a million JayTee:biggrin_25514:!!!

P.S.: Does anyone have an opinion on registering/working through the temp agencies? Or is trucking through a temp service the same as any other work through a temp service- no matter what they say, when you get there you realize why they have to hire out of town.

9. Freightshaker613

Freightshaker613 Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    A temp agency would be a great idea for you trucktick, even only with a class D, there will still be work for you. I have personally worked for one here in Ottawa back in 04'. IMO it can be a great gig because most of these agencies have a lot of different companys they hire for, some big some small, so there can be a vast selection of work. I was lucky enough to get hired on to a decent outfit here after 3 months working for them with the agency. (Unfortunetaly was laid off 2 years later due to that company losing a HUGE contract) But yeah I would most definitely get some resumes in at some agencies in your area. Usually you'll do a road test with the agency, and if you pass that and they like you you'll get hired. Good luck and keep the greasy side down :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
    PhrozenStar and trucktick Thank this.
  10. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    I got lucky and got my "truck" experience driving tow trucks. I did that for about a year before I moved into tri axle dump trucks. The guy who I started with is an old school trucker and liked my attitude and the little bit of knowledge I had and tried me out. After about a year I was tired of never being home and promised this and that and never saw it so I left to where I'm at now hauling dirt.

I know it's hard to get experience, we've all been in the same boat. Be persistent and someone WILL give you a chance at running a truck one day. I was 18-19 when I got my DZ and had one hell of a hard time getting into a truck..

trucktick Thanks this.
  11. trucktick

trucktick Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement Frieghtshaker and Macneil! Though I'm starting to think that not saving a bit more and getting my A-Z was a big mistake. Pretty sure that's what I'm gonna do when I finally find something because around here the rates are so low I can do better working a parts counter or delivery (pick-up), like when I was just starting almost 15 years ago! Anywho... Looks like the Temp way is gonna be my best shot.

On that note, anyone have info on Excelone Staffing in T.O ? They seem to be constantly hiring recycling and garbage drivers for Burlington/ Halton-hills.

Also JayTee I've got my res in at BFI and GFL, even though they told me right away that they don't really hire in-experienced drivers .I'm thinking, no big deal, maybe if I keep coming back and politely pestering them one day they may just say- what the heck, can't be worse than some of the experienced guys we fired!?! Goin' in to Fluke tomorrow with my fingers crossed.:biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.