How do I go about getting experience?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by ewa1980, May 23, 2013.

1. nott00shabby

nott00shabby Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2012
    I too wouldn't mind info on Excelone Staffing for the garbage truck position with Miller Waste systems.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoomTruckin

BoomTruckin Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Devon, Alberta
    After reading this thread, I can't stop thinking what a sad state of affairs in Ontario.

New drivers are left to temp agencies (vultures in my eyes) to gain work experience.

So glad I last saw Ontario thru my rear view mirror.

Prairie Boy Thanks this.
  4. nott00shabby

nott00shabby Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2012
    I have a couples years driving already without temp agencies, I just heard Miller waste was a good company to work with and they only seem to hire through them.

5. trucktick

trucktick Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2013
    BoomTruckin : Yup, that's pretty much my opinion of temp agencies but like you said, sad sad sad state of affairs in onterrible for new drivers. Gonna' head out west as soon as I have experience with AZ (Class 1) and a little $$ for living while I look for work. I know the cost of living is a little higher that way but it's not that much more than down here (I was up in Fairview a couple years ago for farm spring rush) and things are starting to get really out of whack with average/low pay to cost of living around the golden horsesh*t- I mean golden horseshoe.:biggrin_25513:

nott00shabby : I also heard miller is a good company. It's the temp service that is constantly looking for drivers for them ( I mean constantly, they put ads out - at LEAST- once or twice a week since May) that makes me question the situation there. Gonna give it a try if nothing comes up by next week. If that's what ends up happening I will let you know a.s.a.p about them.

A little off topic but is there anything out west (sask/alberta) other than vac trucks that I could make decent money doing with my DZ (Class 3). The only reason I say other than vac trucks is because they seem to get very sporadic work ( 50-60-70 hours in a few days then nothing for maybe 5-6 weeks or more) around here. If it's not the same out that way then I'd drive a vac truck (and be up for the labour part of that gig as well).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  6. PhrozenStar

PhrozenStar Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I am quite willing to relocate. Especially to the rest coast. I, too just graduated in Woodbridge, and am trying to get experience. Just seems that everyone I've talked to so far either doesn't have DZ trucks, or wants a min of one year experience. It's getting really frustrating.

7. PhrozenStar

Oct 11, 2013
    So, how did everything work out? You working yet? Where at? Ontario or elsewhere?

8. PhrozenStar

Oct 11, 2013
    trucktick, same questions (as above) for you, as well, are you still in Ontario, or have you moved elsewhere?

9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    You really want to relocate so you can drive a truck? .....

10. BoomTruckin

BoomTruckin Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Devon, Alberta
    No, but you can earn a great wage doing it.

11. PhrozenStar

Oct 11, 2013
    I don't care about relocation. I am single with no ties to any particular place. I went to Calgary a while back, jobless and broke, on a whim, and had a great next few years. Since then, I have lived in NFLD (again, on a whim, and that didn't work out so well), and now I'm back in Toronto. The hell do I care if I have to relocate to get a job? Mind you, i would like to have something local to build my coffers with before I go this time, but whatever.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.