How do I idle this ******* truck?

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Friday, Jul 18, 2016.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Idling in gear with trailer brakes set.

Ahuh. Yup.

Now that the teasing is out of the way, Consider working for someone else who does not implement temp idle controls.

One of the biggest things we enjoyed for our health, humidty control and etc over the years was the ability to maintain a perfect cab temperature. If it was too hot, mold and mildew becomes a threat on the food stuffs then the clothes and eventually you.

The alternative is to get dispatched into places where the temp is never 89.

free spirited1 and Friday Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    Well, now that I have a solution, it shouldn't be a problem again. Of course I'm sure Schneider wouldn't be happy with me messing with the sensor, but I'd like to see them sit in their cubicle that's at 100+ degrees with no power for anything.

crb, passingthru69 and TennMan Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have no qualms messing with the sensor. There is two cases of a few hundred hand warmers inside the closet for the coming of winter. Im sure those things taped to the sensor will trick the truck into idling. But you have to try it and see.

Im old school, I don't mind a certain amount of automation but this idle disabling to temperature breaks my heart. I am automatically an enemy of any company big and small that dares implement this thing without providing for a alternative such as a APU that provides hotel power to the sleeper and cab for much less fuel than the main engine up front.

free spirited1 and Dna Mach Thank this.
  5. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Chock the wheels and release all the brakes?

6. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Jb has me idling for the last 24 hours..just sayin..its cold in here..

7. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    I don't see how releasing trailer brake as well will make a difference.. The mere fact that it'll shut off while the tractor brake is pushed in and truck is in gear is flabbergasting

As far as providing something.. They do provide the parksmart. Meh. It's kind of a double edged sword. Having it makes it a joke for me to hit the mpg metric since I very rarely idle when I sit. My mpg metric is currently at 105.675/100 for the quarter and 103.673/100 for the year. That's with a goal of 85/100. With that high of a score I could start fueling at love's every time and I'd still get a bonus at the end of the quarter. So that's good. But the crap that happened yesterday is the bad. No solution to what to do on a 34 when it dies. Maybe I was supposed to call and get a hotel? I'm sure sni would put me up in a Best Value Bed and Bugs Inn.

8. Scott72

Scott72 Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Policy was apu gets turned off while on home time. Drivers couldn't follow policy and left them running, so no more apu's. Not hard to empty a fridge when you go home.

Friday Thanks this.
  9. free spirited1

free spirited1 Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    Here you if want most any driver creature comfort that takes care of you in your truck...go take a look at their equipment offered to the driver..www.hollandent.com

10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Going to work for a better company is probably the best way to idle.

11. JustinWaterboro

JustinWaterboro Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Porter, ME
    LOL good thing you are in a company truck Friday for if it was your own truck you would be losing some good money between idling and/or getting the truck fixed...and puppies hate the heat btw...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.