How do you know when it's time for an inframe?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by dlstruck, Sep 27, 2016.

1. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    I got my Columbia earlier this year with 680k on the Detroit 12.7. I love this motor, I'm at 720k and haven't touched it besides a few oil changes. Can't say the same about the Volvo I drove before going O/O. Also doesn't burn any oil or coolant even though I've been reading that these motors usually will.

Anyways, how do you know decide when to do an inframe? I searched and I see some people doing them at 800k while others do it at 1.2 mil. Do you go by oil analysis, guess, or just wait until it dies? I just got my first oil sample with last week's oil change so I'll be sending it out for analysis and doing that with every change from now on.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Over a gallon of oil ever time you get fuel or something bad happens.
    Three things I feel can help prevent something bad from happening are: Replacing rod and main bearings at engines half life on estimated overhaul. Adjusting valves and injectors at least every 250,000 miles. Maintaining cooling system and regular oil changes.
    A lot of contravesy around here on when to do those things and some good posts on oil samples. Use search block on top right and I thank cowpie posted some good oil sample stuff.

John E. and J.S. Thank this.
  4. dlstruck

Sep 8, 2016
    I don't burn any noticeable amount of oil so I think I'm good there. Never thought about doing the bearings but it makes sense. I'll do a leak down test sometime when it's slow and if it's good, I'll do the bearings soon. Not sure when valves and injectors were adjusted so I'll do that soon as well. I'm getting about 7mpg is it can't be too bad. Thanks for the info, I'll look up the oil samples.

J.S. Thanks this.
  5. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Learn to work on it yourself. No expensive tools required and a 12.7 is stupid easy. For what is worth, i rebuilt mine at just over a million and it was immaculate inside. The cross hatches were still in the liners. Bearings had almost no wear. Could have probably gone another 500k with no problem, but once ya got it apart is stupid not to just do it. The parts are cheap.

stayinback Thanks this.
  6. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Funny,back in the old days,lol.....In the 70's and 80's,we used to get around 400k on an inframe,NTC Cummins.First 100k miles,no oil use to speak of.200k miles on the overhaul,a gallon of oil,every 5,6k miles or so.At 300k miles on overhaul, a gallon of oil every 3k miles,and by the time you'd get to 400k miles on your overhaul,pretty much a gallon of oil every time you fuel.Time for inframe.But,I could inframe it on a weekend myself,and do it for less than $2,000. 3 heads x $200.,sleeve-piston kits,$600.,bearings $200.,injectors$30.x6,+oil,filters,and gaskets.
    Technology,oil and materials have come a long way.

7. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada

With oil sampleing you can tell tons of whats goin on inside that engine..You can tell if bearings are startin to go,streaming injectors(fuel dilution)coolant in the oil ect ect....Just dont do oil testing from truck stop bench top testers..Do it with http://polarislabs.com/ They spend millions on required gear and maintenance/upgrades to give you some of the most detail and accurate results.....Hell send them your urine sample and they can tell you what you ate for luck and what time you had it..

8. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Just do a valve set and run it..
    If no oil usage and blowby is normal,getting good fuel mpg then you have nothing to worry about. Sounds very healthy to me.

9. dlstruck

Sep 8, 2016
    I've looked at doing it myself. Never touched a diesel before but my dad has been a mechanic/driver all his life and I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic so I'm sure between the two of us we can figure it out. Also helps that he has a 2000sf shop at his house. My only issue is time. If I can get it done in 2-3 days, great. If it's any longer, it's almost cheaper to have the dealer do it to have me back on the road faster. I originally only bought this truck to drive for a year or so and them buy something newer but I'm really happy with it so I'll probably inframe it in a few years and keep running it.

10. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    If you're a licensed aircraft mechanic,you won't have any problems.Just study up on the technical specs,and be on the lookout for a 3/4 drive torque wrench.Before I built my shop,I used to overhaul mine in my driveway.Wouldn't waste time on a leakdown test if your not using oil,or blowby issues,your oil analyis will tell you what you need to know.Also,I wouldn't necessarily count on the dealer knocking it out any quicker,unless they promise it,and make good on it.

11. dlstruck

Sep 8, 2016
    Yeah I'm just mostly concerned about the tools. We have a lot of auto body tools and pretty much everything you need to work on cars, just never worked on bigger trucks so we don't have any bigger tools.

Any idea where I can find a factory service manual so I can get an idea of what I'll need?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.