How do you not get complacent?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BeanDip, Jul 3, 2015.

1. BeanDip

BeanDip Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    S.W Michigan
    This thread: http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...-or-killing-something-someone-go-away.289221/ prompted me to go ahead and ask....

I've been wondering about this for a couple days. How do ya'll keep from getting complacent, as far as being a safe driver goes?

I can put in 200 miles a day driving my 4 wheeler around for work everyday. Doesn't touch the miles you all put in, but it's more than most 4-wheelers drive daily.

I've been paying more attention to how I drive in an effort to get rid of some bad habits, and develop some good ones. Things like blinker use, following distance, defensive driving (not letting or getting myself hemmed in), being patient, etc. Probably the most significant change is pulling off the road if I NEED to put my hands on my phone.

ANYWAY... After years of driving, what prevents you from getting complacent, or even over confident? I see 4 wheelers tailgating at 75 mph. I doubt they did this when they first got their license, but after years of nothing happening when they tailgate, it just becomes a perfectly normal way to drive.

Does being aware of your surroundings, and always appreciating the dangers (without paralyzing fear) become habit?

What say you?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Just remember that a large part of the job you are paid to do is to always allow for the "idiot" factor.

texasbbqbest, G.Anthony and Puppage Thank this.
  4. bobtrucks2204

bobtrucks2204 Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    If you were a carpenter you wouldn't / couldn't be complacent on where to put the studs, right?

Driving big trucks is a dangerous job and every day, peoples lives are on the line. We can't afford to be complacent. I try to look at every day as my first and practice, practice, practice. Safety comes first

BeanDip Thanks this.
  5. BeanDip

BeanDip Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    S.W Michigan
    That's true. Hadn't thought about that way. Your job is to be safe, so that's what you do.

6. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Learned this hauling logs. "You never know what's around the next corner. " Drive that way.

7. unholy7

unholy7 Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2014
    "complacency kills" has been drilled in my head my whole adult life from the army, and driving. the funny thing is that what makes it stick in a big truck is the fact that the majority of my friends and family drive truck and the last thing we say to each other is "stay safe out there" so i never really forget it because we wont let each other.

BeanDip Thanks this.
  8. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    I sometimes drive my car like a semi.....I have to switch 'modes' per se, but being a t/t driver has made me a very safe / boring driver. I irritate some people because I do the speed limits on i87. I've seen too many people die, too many accidents in my 4 year span.

Speeding is my top peeve among 4 wheelers and especial you fellow drivers that speed In a semi. I like to chill like these folks in a convertible !

pete1 and BeanDip Thank this.
  9. unholy7

unholy7 Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2014
    every got over to hit a scale house in your 4 wheeler? i have.

10. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    Yeah? Did you weight your car ?

11. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    I'm in Illinois and I stay mostly in Illinois with my routes. The drivers in this area do a pretty good job of keeping me from becoming complacent. It's generally the "I don't want to be behind a truck" mentality of 4 wheelers that keeps me on my toes. I probably have 20+ incidents a week where, if I wasn't paying attention, I'd be in a collision. However, I see them and I am usually on the brake before their thought of pulling out in front of me has been processed.

BeanDip and HorseShoe Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.