How do you watch TV shows on the road??

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Biscuit75, Oct 2, 2009.

1. simplyred1962

simplyred1962 Betty Boop, One Bodacious Babe!!!

We just ordered the free trial of Netflix.Supposedly, you can now watch instantly from your computer...even TV shows.
    I'll let ya'll know how well it works, if at all...

Judi Kay

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GoBlue487

GoBlue487 Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2009
    MI
    I see the dish you can get for a truck and they are pricey, but then do you have to buy the service on top of that too? (Dish Network, Direct TV) I think you do and is this even worth it to pay $1,600 for the dish and then the monthly fee. I know it would be nice and I am sure some do but is the other ways just as good?

4. AnotherFool

AnotherFool Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Destin, FL

I have seen trucks with a dish on them and wonder if they have to park so it is in the right direction...like the ones at a house?

5. GoBlue487

GoBlue487 Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2009
    MI

The ones I seen on the net are either manual ones that you have to find a signal when you stop or ones that will find the signal for you but only when you stop. Then there is the most expensive one that works while you go down the road.

I also forgot to ask if anyone knows if you can put a dish on a company truck? I know it may depends on the company, but has anyone done this?

6. moosc

moosc Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Lincolnton NC
    for 600$ u can get a vucube.. it is amazing sat dish set up. all u need is a sat. box either dish or direct tv a power convertor and your set. baclk on topic i prefer hulu they have alot of my favorite old and new shows

GoBlue487 Thanks this.
  7. Jarhed1964

Jarhed1964 Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC

Hulu and XVid rock! I too download full seasons or episodes as they come out on XVid.

BTW, I remember seeing drivers at truck stops who zip tied a short piece of pvc pipe to their mirror upright on the passenger side. When they backed in, they would pull out what appeared to be a regular home dish on a post, put it in the pipe and aim it.

simplyred1962 Thanks this.
  8. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    It's awesome. For 2 reasons. You can grab the DVD's when you are home (I have the 3 at a time plan) and watch them on a DVD player or a laptop while you are out and then drop them in any mail slot anywhere when you are done. When you get home, the next DVD's in your queue are waiting for you. Plus like you say, they have uploaded 10's of thousands of movies and TV shows now to watch instantly. You do have to have a decent internet connection of course to watch them in "high quality" but they have lower settings to accommodate slower connections too. I've had it for 4 years and love that company.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  9. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    VuQube

V10 - $599 (you use the remote control up/down and left/right arrows to dial in the signal from your sleeper. You have to know where south is of course, and you can't have a building or something next to you blocking the sky. Other trucks next to you won't block the signal.)

V20 - $1199 (automatically finds the signal when you stop by pressing the button. Takes about 10 - 60 seconds.)

V30 - $1389 (automatically finds the signal and works while stopped or in-motion)

Drill bracket - $40 (you have to drill 4 holes in the back of the truck)

No-drill bracket - $45 (uses 3M aircraft tape. Created by us for drivers who don't want to drill and for company drivers)

Yes, you have to have DirecTV, Dish Network, or BellVue (Canada) subscription and their receiver box. Super easy if you already have satellite at home because you just order up another receiver box from them for $5.99 a month and you get whatever channels you get on the home system.

The prices have gone down recently on these and the quality is high.

GoBlue487 and squirrellsgnwild Thank this.
  10. simplyred1962

simplyred1962 Betty Boop, One Bodacious Babe!!!

Okay, Netflix+Sprint data card=NO!

Even parked in the back 40, with nothing to interfere with reception, get booted of about 5 minutes into show....

11. badsey

badsey Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    I use a portable Sony LCD/DVD player and on the video in I connect a $40 HDTV converter box (need ac for this or an inverter) connected to the trucks built in antenna.

They have portable HDTVs now. --> that would be easier, but the antenna may not be as good as the truck's

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.