How do you watch TV shows on the road??

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Biscuit75, Oct 2, 2009.

1. hogtownwildman

hogtownwildman Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I use a tv tuner for laptop, made by hauppauge.Can get at radio shack,best buy.Cost $49,others are around $90.Comes with portable antenna or can use antenna on truck.Scan for channels when you park just like you would do with tv.In harrisonburg,va today,only got 4 channels,but watched football and race in HD.I recommend it,beats springing for a tv.

GoBlue487 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Einstein72

Einstein72 Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I use a service called Graboid, this allows you to download majority of tv shows out there, by use of a search feature. then if you like you can burn them to a disk to take with you, or simply click and drag the recorded show to a thumb drive to then play on your laptop or netbook device. something else i am going to be looking into is the gotomypc.com website and try to play a dl movie or show from my computer and see how it comes through to the remote location. on the second option i am guessing that would be like using the watch now feature on netflix. this of course depends greatly upon your connection speed.

I have a question, how is the wi-fi service on the road at various truck stops and so forth. is it normally decent enough to support the skype service?

Another option would be to use their cell phone internet connect, like the sprint pcs service or the Verizon network or at&t , either or really, curious how that would work or if anyone on here has tried that?

4. LeadFootLarry

LeadFootLarry Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2009
    chattanooga, tn.

The reason your getting the boot is because sprint caps the bandwidth at 5GB. Streaming video online via netflix, youtube,Xvid, or Hulu, is transferring data at a very high rate, and it eats up that 5GB cap in no time. It has nothing to do with your signal. On top of all that, when you exceed your bandwidth limit, your charged 00.25 per kb. and your slowed to dial up speed until your payed up. When they say "Unlimited Usage" they are talking about surfing the net, and checking/sending e-mail. Thats it. I too have a sprint data card, However I am under an old plan, where I have truly Unlimited bandwidth, and can stream/dowload whatever i want, for however long i want. And until I change my plan, it will be that way.....Look into a sling box if you got high speed internet at home, its well worth it.

5. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    hulu for me all the time every show u can think of, great video quality,sounds great, and all shows are in HD,plus i have surround sound in my truck, so it sounds better then just the computer, tv speakers.. but i was able to watch house the same night it came out on another site and i just cant remember it for the life of me, quality was great, i use the verizon card, great coverage all over, but becareful,. u can rack up ur 5gb really qucik as i did by accident when i first got it 5 months ago, the good thing, they'll only charge u up to $190 of over usage charge :biggrin_25523:
    judi, u can get the hdmi cable from walmart cheap, i think mine was 20 bucks, the bad thing is the wire is only like 4 foot long, luky for me, i have my fridge just below the cabnet for the tv, so i just set my computer on top the fridge when watching tv or movies.

6. CommDriver

CommDriver Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2006
    This is right. I didn't know you had Sprint. With all the streaming you're doing I'm surprised you haven't been shut down already. Millenicom has an unlimited plan for 69.99.

7. jezter5677

jezter5677 Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2009
    GoBlue487 Thanks this.
  8. DirtySideDown

DirtySideDown Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Wherever they send me.
    Hey CommDriver. I checked out that Justin(dot)tv website and it looks pretty cool. How fast would that site eat up my usage if I only have 5GB/month? Also, you said you had Millenicom... is it really unlimited like they say, or is there a cap that they put on you once you use so much every month like all of the others? Am I correct that with Millenicom you have no contract? It is month to month right? Also... how much do they charge for activation and such? Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  9. nitrochad

nitrochad Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Kiel,WI
    check into a slingbox!!!!

10. Panhandle flash

Panhandle flash Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    So what is slingbox and how does it work?

11. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Word of caution.

Watching any video like that on an air card is expensive. A friend of mine on Verizon, came up with a 300.00 bill for only 3 weeks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.