How far would you dead head to get a load

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by jugg, Dec 21, 2007.

1. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I have a customer here that pays well and no point in sitting for days in a dead area .

thejackal Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    One of these days I'm going to get a sound clip of Randy Travis singing Diggin Up Bones.

Oscar the KW, Ruthless and bzinger Thank this.
  4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    The driver that got $96,000 to run from Galveston Texas to Morgantown West Virginia pulling his oversized load could easily afford to deadhead back to Galveston Texas for another one

5. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Look I'm not fond of deadheading let alone a 647 mile deadhead and everyone has there own views that I respect .
    But laying over in Laredo a couple months ago for 5 days which I posted and took some flak over I think my detractors were right , that was 5 days wasted in a bad area at the time .
    Since then I'll take a load to a bad area if the rate is good but I won't sit there long before I head out to greener pastures and will not waste my time hauling el cheapo freight .

6. crazyjack

crazyjack Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Deadhead is irrelevant, would you do 1000 miles for $1100 without any deadhead, or you'd rather deadhead 500 miles and then pick-up a 2000 mile load that pays $4600? If you are paid by the mile then I'm not sure, used to be first 50 miles free and then a few pennies less than a loaded mile.

7. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I work on percentage .

8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Oh ... I do it quite often. Depends where're you at. E.G. I don't wait for anything to happen in Phoenix, AZ, just go empty to LA land. 350 deadhead miles There I can find partials for 4-5K back to Midwest. Partials take time. I value time. The only loads going back to Chicago Area from Phoenix are about 2K so I don't bother to wait for miracles. Rate per mile matters, of course. But at the end, it is how thick your wallet is, that matters the most. Of course, there must be some incentive to go to Phoenix and the like places, in the first place.

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    And at times, after I have scored, I just deadhead back home 200-300 miles too. Just sick of the work and enticed by the thought of getting home at last. Don't care about additional 400-600 $, if it means 1 additional day and I feel pumped up. Might be considered a bad business but I don't care if my wallet feels thick.

bzinger Thanks this.
  10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I've had so many 600+/- mile deadheads back home this year with the dry van or reefer that I've lost count. I go home every weekend. I usually go out and right back on every load. That's part of the plan though. And I'm not trying to be a "no cheap freight hero" because I will glady take a cheap #### load if it is convenient and I will call it a "back haul" (hahahahaha back haul back haul hahaha) just to piss people off too because I don't give a #### what you think. Hahaha!!!

icsheeple, Big_D409, Ristow and 3 others Thank this.
  11. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Everyone has theyre own price and circumstance.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.