How hard is Offset backing?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bama Roadrunner, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Bama Roadrunner

Bama Roadrunner Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2015
    North Alabama
    As the titles states how hard is offset backing? I'm in trucking school and we are going to do offset backing next week. I'm just wondering how hard is offset backing?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    Students have to practice to see how hard they find it. Some find it harder than others. I can't say it was hard for me, but I grew up on a farm and did a lot of wagon backing.

I think it is easier than parallel parking.

4. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    Dont even worry about offset backing. Just work on alley dock and backing up in a straight line.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  5. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    What is it? I never could get backing by "formula" as school teaches it (which is probably why I'm not a van driver). I learned by doing, and through "feel". i.e. counter-steering when the trailer started going the other way.

Now I back loaded B-trains like a straight trailer.

6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Good glad I'm not the only person never heard of offset backing,lol.

7. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Now that I thought about it more, it might be "backing without a proper setup". He says he's in school, and they have fancy terms for simple things.

Dominick253 and pattyj Thank this.
  8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I don't have a clue what offset backing is.But backing is backing You need to know and understand your trailer,the pivot point,turning radius,refference point.Once you understand all that almost all backing is easy, for me it was except blindside.

9. Trofees

Trofees Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2016
    I just finished school and got my CDL this week. Let me tell you that offset backing was hard to learn at first. You might get upset with yourself, but keep practicing because youll start to get a feel for it.

Soon you will start practicing the alley dock. After you learn to do that, the offset backing will make you laugh. (It's truly easy)

In case you are nervous, ill let you know that it took me 1 hour to back straight back between the cones my first time in the truck. Keep your head up. Youll get more and more confident with more seat time!

gillz107, Puppage and Bama Roadrunner Thank this.
  10. Trofees

Trofees Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Ill explain what offset backing is. It's when you are parked in 1 parking lane, you pull straight forward and then back up into the parking lane beside the one you just left.

Chewy352 and Bama Roadrunner Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.