How long do company background checks take??

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by AnthonyM757, Feb 11, 2016.

1. AnthonyM757

AnthonyM757 Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2015
    Just had an interview last Friday with this one company and just waiting on a background check to clear.

The anticipation is killing me, how long are these things supposed to take?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Depends on how thorough they are, and how many people they have to do it. Some are a few days, others a few weeks.

AnthonyM757 Thanks this.
  4. lagbrosdetmi

lagbrosdetmi Box Monkey

Jul 1, 2014
    Detroit
    Days, weeks, ABF called me back almost 3 months later I had all but forgotten I had interviewed.

What company is it?

hunted and AnthonyM757 Thank this.
  5. AnthonyM757

Sep 13, 2015
    SEFL

6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Most of the time the check takes about 15 minutes at most. The carrier will pull your DAC. This will have your license history, your violation history and a brief driving history. I actually sit and watched a guy order a DAC file and print it out. Most of the carriers have contracts with companies that can pull your criminal history in a few minutes as well. For a medium to large company it should not take more then 2 maybe 3 hours to get the information compiled and a decision made. All of this information is computerized now and can be downloaded very easy. You might want to check back with this company.

White_Knuckle_Newbie Thanks this.
  7. TurtlesLikeI

TurtlesLikeI Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Nevada
    What about reference checks and past employment checks (non-trucking)?

8. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Took a little more than a month for me. The last company to report back for reference was my current(at the time) company. I guess they took their sweet time reporting back so I can work there longer.

AnthonyM757 Thanks this.
  9. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Depends on the company and how they work it. My post was about how it is done on average. A reference check is still only a phone call asking someone if they know you or if you worked for them it just don't take that long. When I was out of work back in 2011 I submitted about 10 applications over that weekend. By the following Tuesday I had 2 companies trying to schedule me for orientations and by that Friday 4 more had called me. However all of my applications were filled out completely with no blank spots. Most of the information in regard to drivers with experience is on the DAC.

10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I need to add that there is a bit of a difference between a driver with an established driving history and a new driver coming into the job. It will take a bit longer for a new hire because more information has to be gathered from sources other then DAC. Then the company has to get it all compiled and then go over it to determine if they will hire. So yes in this case I can see it taking as long as 2 or 3 weeks depending on how much work is required.

11. AnthonyM757

Sep 13, 2015
    Forgot to mention that I'm straight out of CDL school and this will be my first trucking job..

I'm not too worried though, I'm applying for the driver trainee position (which doesn't even require a CDL) and I already have all my endorsements.. I've just been out of work for so long I'm dying of boredom lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.