how long does the regen take

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by snowwy, Jan 2, 2013.

1. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    my friend had 2012 maxxforce prostar and it took 40 minutes and spent 10 more minutes to wait for exhaust sensor light to come off.

svelkovski Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Ohh man! take it in any Volvo shops, they shouldn't charge you more than 1 hour labor to install the free updated software; I updated mine in 2010 @Volvo in Sikeston ,Missouri; as I said last year in this thread, my motor used to do same 2-3 regens /day, after update runs 1 every 2000-2500 miles and lasts 20-22 min, I never run parked regen; The ERG caused more problems on this motor not the DPF/Regen, and is still pulling great amazing on fuel, I have 1,377,000 miles original motor still pulling great 8-9 mpg;

4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt

Have you rebuilt that engine......? Liners, pistons and cam.....?

5. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Not rebuilt yet, but i should say partialy original cuz I replaced cam and injectors 3 months ago; not linears ,piston bearings, heads yet;

6. towdriver

towdriver Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
    Your problem is stated right in your response. Trucks with DPF don't like to idle. The higher you can keep the revs when parked the better but some engines need special programming to allow them to idle higher then 900 RPM. Some also have a program feature that makes then idle up to prevent the need for a regeneration when idling. Detroit and Cummins should complete a regeneration in about 40 to 90 minutes. If it takes longer chances are there is a problem and it should be looked at by dealer before it leaves you stranded.

7. Vlada13

Vlada13 Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2015
    Did you, and how did you fix you're problem.
    I have same year, same engine Volvo with the same problem, its killing me.
    Da ne pricas srpski mozda?

Thanks

8. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I'm in a 2015 Casadia with a D15 & my parked regens only last about 12 minutes or so. I have no clue when or how much it regens while on the road.

I run short runs less than 400 miles a day. Sometimes just local stuff around town. I may make 2 or 3 stops & load or unload in when town. When out of town, I may run 300 miles & stop for the night. I dont have a genpac etc so I have to idle if its cold or hot. I make these 300 miles runs three or four times a week. The other one or two days is local stuff.

So, I have to regen manually (or a parked regen) regularly because I dont run out on the road enough to do passive regens to compensate for my idle time (again, I have no idea when or how often it does its passive regen). So, I will do a parked regen just about every time I go out out on my 300 mile run, when I spend the night out 1 or 2 times a week.

I got the truck in June 2014 & I have 45,000 miles on it (now 01/15). So, as you see, I dont run out of town as much as you OTR guys, so I generally have to do mine once or twice a week manually when I am idling over night. Again, it takes about 12 minutes or so.

Hope this helps some of you local & short run guys....

9. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    EPA 2010 Volvo engines will run a self parked regen when idling if needbe. Otherwise it's set to idle at 700 rpm.

10. Burrito Smuggler

Burrito Smuggler Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Lodi, CA
    My company Pete 587 with an ISX is in the shop. The engine light came on a few days ago with no faults found, and won't terminate. Also, there are times when the idle kicks itself up to 800 or so rpm's. I'm new to all this emissions equipment. Can somebody explain what may be going on?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.