How much can I be over

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Keep'em 18roll;ng, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Keep'em 18roll;ng

Keep'em 18roll;ng Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2015
    A couple of days ago I went into a scale house, the new one that just open on I40W. Once you're on the scales you can see the weights and I noticed I was almost 500 pounds ova on my drives

So the sign flashed "pull around" so I'm thinking I'm about to get a ticket, but once I got inside the building he told me he called me in because my tire chains was touching the ground.

My ? Is how much do you have to be over for them to really stick it to you?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    500 on the drives and under GVW, most wont bother you unless theyre looking for trouble. If i were you, i wouldn't make it a habit.

Big Don, tow614, flood and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    MOST of the time they will let you go for that little BUT if you have has-mat your going to get the ticket

5. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I got away with anything under 500.

Keep'em 18roll;ng Thanks this.
  6. TAfool

TAfool Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Seriously, it just depends. I don't worry about a few hundred pounds but if LEO is having a bad day because the retarded drivers before me.....well, my number could be up.

Picked up 30k lbs load so I didn't scale it. Past through 3 Cali scales into AZ. Stopped on static. 1400lbs over on drives. LEO says, "Can you fix it?" I said, "Yes."
    Pull around, adjust, rescale and he says, "Have a good day."

Most DOT/LEO's are good decent people and if you treat them with respect and professionalism they will return in kind. That doesn't include the a-hole in LA that pulled his gun on me though.

TA

7. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    I wouldnt try 500 over in cali. But i hear they let you slide at 200 axle, not gross.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  8. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I was 200 over on my drives when I went through Umatilla last time. Got the red light to stop but was eventually let go.

I started out with 360 over gross and 449 over axle but shed the weight between North Bend and Umatilla. :D

9. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    The Virginia scales in Roanoke have pulled me around and let me adjust. I though I had compensated for fuel weight but I was wrong.

10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    When I used to pull our tanker trailer (we haul live fish), I'd almost always be way over. We knew pretty much which scales would be closed, but sometimes we'd get caught with our tanks a little over-full. My usual gambit was to swing around, have my co-driver dump a bunch of water (like 5-6,000 lbs), while I took my time to walk in. "No Sir, that can't be right, can we please re-weigh?" On the re-weigh, the weight had "magically" disappeared! Those scales just weren't that reliable. ;) Got some very suspicious looks, but never got busted....

LoneCowboy Thanks this.
  11. americanmadetrucker

americanmadetrucker Logistical Engineer

Jul 3, 2012
    80,400 with my apu and I'm never bothered.

rachi Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.