How Much Can I Make Truck Driving?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Christensen, May 27, 2011.

1. Christensen

Christensen Light Load Member

May 24, 2011
    West Palm Beach, Fl.
    Yes,,maybe...but you are doing well...That's really what i wondered...How many drivers are making money and happy with it...I know its a hard road to hoe, but I believe in myself and think I can do a lot better than I am now...Just had someone steal a $100 bucks from me....and the worst part is that you can't just blame someone, even if you think you know who it was....I hate the tattoo industry anymore....i"m ready to change careers...and even if I don't make $30,000 the first year it would still be better than what I'm doing now...:biggrin_2552:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    It's possible for a person to make $30,000 or more a year as a company driver. I'd re-think jumping into lease/purchase program right away. I'd suggest to take some time, watch and study first. There's more to know then one might think as well as a period of simply adjusting or acclimating to the lifestyle for you and your family. Perhaps give it a year or two, Create a good record as a driver and get to know the ropes.

Easier said then done...

Christensen Thanks this.
  4. Christensen

Christensen Light Load Member

May 24, 2011
    West Palm Beach, Fl.
    It can't hurt....its the 90 cmp vs. the 30 cmp....but who know's....just starting out, company driver would be alot easier. I, like alot of guys, love to be the boss.....not that you really ever are...but it would be nice to feel that way..I have two brothers...one was a company driver for USA, he hated it. The other is with CR England with a lease/purchase making 90 cpm and loves it....

5. Paradigm

Paradigm Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Centennial, CO
    Dave 26027 certainly makes some valid points in his remarks above but I beg to differ with his take on income.

First off. If you are an owner operator you absolutely have to find a niche to make real money and stay away from the big company lease purchase programs. They are only designed for failure. How do you do that? Grit and fortitude. It won't come easy or quick but if you stick to it and keep your eyes peeled for opportunities and experience you can make real money out here. It ain't going to be pulling a reefer for .91 CPM though and you ain't going to do it making a $1,800.00 per month truck lease payment.

I own my own truck(2006 International 9400i) and trailer (2008, 52' sliding spread Retenauer step deck) and pull for a great company out of Montana. I make 82% of the gross line-haul revenue, rarely put in over 10,000 miles a month and even less frequently gross less than $18,000 a month., plus in the summer can even see a few $20,000 months. Again- that is a gross number to the truck so bear that in mind but I will tell you that I have paid myself $3,500 (net to me) per month for the last three years and have never been in trouble with the IRS. I fund an HSA account every month, I provide health insurance for my family, and even on the lean months I put money in the bank. That said, my quarterly tax estimates this year are $3,450. per quarter so I certainly need to make money every month. The good news here is that tax payments are based on last year's income so obviously I am making money.

A little side note to making money and having a shiny new truck to depreciate. As long as you are making money you are good to go. The minute you want to take some time off, break down, have a family emergency, or whatever- you are screwed. That shiny new truck will eat all your cash rather quickly when it sits idle. On the other hand. If you find a good used truck- and they are out there- you might not have the big depreciation number to post against your income but when any of those things I listed above occur you don't have to worry about making a big truck payment and if your income falls below last year's income you can adjust your quarterly tax payments. Try doing that with the bank that holds the note on your truck.

Does it happen over night? No way. Even if you ran out and bought a new truck and trailer they would not bring you on with no experience. That said, they have brought a few guys on that only had van/reefer experience but had great safety records, descent equipment and great attitudes. Even hauling specialty loads on a step deck or lowboy you don't have to be a genius. You just have to be safe and take your time.

So when I see a mud flap that says, "Get more miles" I just want to puke. I don't want more miles. I want more revenue and thankfully the Owner's of my company see it that way too.

Find a niche and be more than a door slammer.

okiedokie Thanks this.
  6. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Find a niche and be more than a door slammer.
    That says it all. I drive off road HH/construction 6 months a year. $60K net for 6 months.

7. Svoray

Svoray Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Texas
    It's not enough to ask in my opinion. I pull in 800-1100 a week easy as a company driver with plans to make 2000 a week in the future.

8. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    You are really leaning toward the wrong company's though. The 2 you name are 2 of the worst ones to start with. Especially england.
    Check out Crete. They are a decent company driver company. And if you really want to buy a truck they have a purchase program. That is affordable and not a rip off like most. It is not for a new truck. But a used money maker. That is where you would want to start with purchase anyway. Not with a 120k new truck. Buy that 35k used one.

9. MOGLAR

MOGLAR Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Kansas City , MO
    Ok lets take a look at some math J
    Lets say they start you at .36 per mile and you drive 3,000 per week. That is $1,080 per week before taxes! Lets consider Tax’s at $150.00 per @ thousand. (Might be more or less)
    Now lets consider how much you will spend on the road eating, doing laundry and other incidentals you will need. Average about $20.00 per day. That is $140 per week! Please note that this could be more or less.
    Now for the big break down!!
    $1,080 per week x 4 weeks = $4,320
    Expenses x 4 weeks -$560 (could be more or less)
    Taxes x 4 weeks -$600 (could be more or less)

TOTAL: $3,160 per month

If you are driving 70 hours per week for $1,080 you are making $15.42 per hour.

Consider I am not deducting insurance nor am I including bonuses. This is the best average I come up with. There are a ton of variables to consider that could increase or decrease how much you make.

10. TICKLES

TICKLES Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2013
    I'm in San Diego, did you go through a company sponsored training? If so, who did you go through? How often are you working living in Riverside?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You can make from $30K to $60+K depending on what you do.
    Mega-refrigerated carriers, chump change, compared to tanker/hazmat.
    If you're financially broke, these company sponsored CDL school programs are best, no money needed:

JBS Carriers
    Prime Inc.
    Central Refrigerated

TICKLES Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.