how much does new drivers usually earn weekly?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by jordan090, Jul 12, 2011.

1. tomence

tomence Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2011
    chicago, il
    All you new drivers fresh out of school contact me i will get you a job anytime of the day to make more than $1000. Why would you get a CDL when you can work at McDonalds and make $350 a week, if that is what you will be making as a fresh out of school driver. Think about it. There is thousands of companies out there, chose wisely. If you can pay for your own training than do so. I am sick and tired of listening to people talking about Werner, JB Hunt, Prime, USX etc. There is small companies around always looking for new drivers with excellent pay if you know where to look.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Perryreddog

Perryreddog Bobtail Member

Have any ideas on where to look in Ohio?

4. harrybottom

harrybottom Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Fitzgerald, Ga
    Try Craigslist. The big companies post there but a lot of smaller outfits use it too. That's where I usually look, or websites like that one.

5. HD_Renegade

HD_Renegade Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ok so can I ask, who did you go with???

6. stlcardsfn

stlcardsfn Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2010
    When the training program is completed, base pay is as follows (based on accumulated experience):
    0-3 mo. 22¢
    3-6 mo. 24¢
    6-12 mo. 28¢
    Straight from the Witte Bros web site

They do have extra pay based on number of drops and pick ups though

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  7. MrMustard

MrMustard Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you are making $800+ a week at 22 cents a mile, you aren't doing it legally. That rate is ridiculous. That was my starting rate at my first trucking job back n the mid 1990's and I left after 6 months for a job paying twice that.

The truth is, when you are fresh out of school, you are going to be hard pressed to find a decent job. Anyone who says otherwise s the exception not the rule. Most people who graduated from 4 week cdl schools know just enough to make them dangerous, and the employers know this. Those big companies that take students are most likely the only place that's going to hire you, and the pay is crap. You hold your nose and work it anyway, until you get some miles under your belt and make yourself more marketable. Employers are picky than ever these days, they have plenty of recruits to choose from.

8. harrybottom

harrybottom Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Fitzgerald, Ga
    You are right about employers being . I took a year off from driving and just got hired by a smaller company. They hired me over someone with 3 yrs exp. even tho I have not been behind the wheel in a while. Exp. and a safe driving history is way important to employers.

9. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    Back in 05 I started at .34 CPM at prime..... Got my cdl through them to and when I was still in training inwas making a flat rate of 600 bucks a week. Then when I was done with that I started at .34 cpm.

10. federal221

federal221 Heavy Load Member

Mar 29, 2010
    new haven,IN
    when I started for werner I made pretty good money
    but dont expect that every week there were weeks I would only make 200

11. Swiftey

Swiftey Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Ive only had my first day and i made 235 aprox after taxes

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.