how much does new drivers usually earn weekly?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by jordan090, Jul 12, 2011.

1. lil may

lil may Road Train Member

May 25, 2009
    what are you looking for in Ohio?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cracker88

cracker88 Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Las Vegas,NV
    Good god I went to the same school as you. For some reason you seem like somebody who isn't gonna make it very long in this industry.

4. mothertrucker!

mothertrucker! Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2011
    ohio
    Old Dominion! They do hire new drivers, they pay well, and you will get good miles. They use daycabs (unless you team) so no tracking through a truckstop in the middle of the night. Only required to go out for a single night but have the option to stay out as long as you like.

7122894003481 Thanks this.
  5. mattp

mattp Medium Load Member

May 26, 2011
    fr mass
    i'm at usx and I gross 410 approx each week during my training pay of 150hrs. got my first pay yesterday 240$ after taxes and after my initial 50$ advancement on to my fuel card so ill be bringing home about 300 during training which is doable if you dont have a mortgage and watch what you spend money on after that there are drivers grossing 1500 a week on the dollar tree account rookies too. its all on you how much you wanna make or if you want to hang out in a truck stop. old dominion is great around here they start at about 18$ for new drivers and about 55 hrs a week no OT

6. mattp

mattp Medium Load Member

May 26, 2011
    fr mass
    yahhhhhhhhhh sorry just updated my signature and wanted to see if i did it properly

7. worldtrvlr

worldtrvlr Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Hope Hull, Alabama
    Yes, $850 a week is low for me too. Twelve years ago I was clearing over $1000 a week with Warrior Xpress out of Charles City, Va. That was before the new log book promulagation. The key is to save all your driving time per se; pre-trip while fueling, low on duty non-driving hours (which I used for drop and hook if questioned) and max speed per hour along with every other little trick in the book to get miles.

Basically, get the load picked-up on time and deliver on time or early. Many times there is a delivery appointment, but I always head straight in and most of the time they will take it vs sitting around waiting for delivery times. Once a company knows you get the frieght on time and are dependable-they are not as reluctant to put you ahead of the list or give you any kind of load.

Be diplomatic at all times and never get angry over the phone with a dispatcher. Let them be the first to get angry. Remember, a dispatch office is like a fish bowl, where they all swim together in the same area-thus what happens with you on the phone goes all around the office and your name soon becomes infamous-no matter if you are right or wrong.

I sometimes question when a load will be ready, but never show a shipper I am displeased. Just say "I understand" as it will get you nowhere to argue. Maybe as much delay as a shipper can find if he doesn't like your attitude.

To get on the good side of the local terminal dispatcher-once in a while ask him "what do you need me to do?" They should remember this and it will help you when you want something from them or to go in a certain direction.

Stay away from refer companies because they deliver to notorious food warehouses that delay and sometimes hand unload-all of which eats away at hours and miles.

I started as a hot -head when I was younger, but have changed after an old driver gave me some advice- "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar", and I never forgot that. Just get the load and say thank you. By doing some of these things, it will get you a more miles, allow you to keep your job, get you a bigger check in the long run, and give you more peace-of-mind. And, you won't be tearing your hair out because of some dispatcher or receiver whom you might like to administer Draconian punishment on.

Take a good book with you on the road to read or learn from-don't spend all night listening to cb talk or just wasting time. Edify yourself everyday in some way.

All the best.

truckinpa16, Rumblestrip and Boonie Thank this.
  8. mattp

mattp Medium Load Member

May 26, 2011
    fr mass
    U can't count log cheating back in the 90's times have changed

9. I am medicineman

I am medicineman Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Kemper County, Mississippi
    I averaged $950 a week as company drvr.

Scale was $700 to $1200 depending on whether I went home that week or was stuck on yard

10. Blondieridingshotgun

Blondieridingshotgun Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Grandville, Michigan
    I'm pretty jealous over these richy riches driving around...making all kinds of money out of school. Apparently, we were the only poor truck out there. ;) It all depends on where you're starting/situation...too many variables to give you a flat number. I wouldn't say more than $700 a week though....especially at a major carrier. My hubby started at a major carrier doing 48 states and brought home about $500 a week after he jumped off his trainer's truck...then made it on to a special account as a permanent driver within a few months and was making about $850 a week, but he was unloading the trailer (family dollar..box by box). He left after about a year and drives for a company in our town now. They've got about 80ish trucks and he usually averages 900-1200 a week (no unloading). It fluxuates depending on the runs available, weather, holidays, etc. Good luck, hope I helped!

11. " OPTIMUS PRIME "

" OPTIMUS PRIME " Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Driver Seat
    whats a good company to start yo career with fresh out school

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.