How much is my dad's truck worth (helping him sell)

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by duckdiver, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    It's only worth what someone is willing to give you for it...Period.

rollin coal and Ruthless Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Obviously someone is paying them prices and going to the auction in Harrisburg pa and seeing it first hand.

4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Posted price is just wishful thinking. Go read my earlier post about what I experienced in the real world versus posted prices when I sold my trailer. Truck paper is not Wal Mart where you pay shelf price. Those trucks may be selling for $30,000 or they may be selling for $40,000 but my money says they are a hard sell anyone getting more than $20,000 got lucky. Educated buyers know that 2008-2010 tractors are virtual money pits to be avoided like the plague. And of course there will be some hero come along and claim they sold one similar for $50,000. For most people that isn't real.

truckon Thanks this.
  5. Not_Here_Long

Not_Here_Long Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    With what appears to be a economic downturn the price will more than likely be less.
    Might be good to hang onto truck another 6-12 months to see if market improves.
    I had same problem trying to sell my trailer as well.
    I finally just decided to keep it in case I work a local/short run deal and can drop it off to be loaded and then
    pick up later.

6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    You know that's what I was thinking to with freight so bad. The flip side of that is with fuel being cheap that also has a tendency to attract a lot of people into truck ownership. To really know you just have to put a price on it an see. From a buyer's perspective it seems much easier to find out how much that price point will move I think than it is as a seller trying to pin point what would be the best price to post.

7. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    What kind of trailer?

8. Not_Here_Long

Sep 7, 2015
    Someone could buy it he'll never know till that person comes along.
    I still wouldn't give it away. But the model and trans kill it by probably 50%
    Unless you found a woman wanting one. I think women like the auto's better than men do.
    Another thought would be to charge say 25K and hold the title on part of the money.
    Say 50% down and the rest over 12 month period.

9. Not_Here_Long

Sep 7, 2015
    I run light weight/ expedited freight aka hotshot
    trailer 40ft, ramps and hyd disc brakes.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  10. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    If he really wants to sell it I wouldn't wait. I think this time next year trucks will be even cheaper. First time around on truck paper is free. For what its worth I sold a clean 2012 dry van on there in 2 weeks over the summer. Got within $500 of my asking price. There is always a stronger market for day cabs anyways. If it's a decent truck it should move.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.