How much is too little?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by JoeIA2015, Nov 17, 2015.

1. JoeIA2015

JoeIA2015 Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2015
    We've been in the hauling industry for nearly 20 years now. I am finding it more and more difficult to give competitive pricing to my customers and still earn a little bit of money. I am new to the trucking forums and asking others for advice but I find I'm at the point to where I need to ask: How much do others find is a good rate to haul van trailers? I used to get $4 per loaded mile but over the last year plus I've had to drop my pricing down to the $1.50 per mile range. So I ask; what is a good rate to haul van trailers?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. belowspeedlimit

belowspeedlimit Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
    $1.50. You'd be better off being a company driver. A good rate depends on your expenses.

PSUMoose Thanks this.
  4. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Depends on what your hauling also.
    Anyone can pick up a load of widgets, and take them from pt A to pt B-no touch.
    Start hauling product that you load yourself, no dock, blanketwrap and you need to deck the trailer to make sure you have room to get your last pick up on-bc it is all LTL freight with multiple picks & drops.
    That will get you into the $4-$5 per loaded mile range.

Big_D409 Thanks this.
  5. Urziel

Urziel Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2013
    I have to agree with the others that's it's a function of what you haul and where you haul it.

mountaingote Thanks this.
  6. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Blanket wrap is a major pita

Big_D409 Thanks this.
  7. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    If you have been in business for 20 years you know how much it costs per mile average to cover your expenses plus pay yourself. Anything less is too little. If you're not paying yourself you are going backwards. Don't forget to include deadhead miles in your figuring. A so called back haul still costs to haul and shouldn't be discounted. Taking loads that cost you money to haul is a big problem in this industry.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.