How much money to bring?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 1278PA, Feb 7, 2016.

1. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    From what i read Roehl pays you $500 a week for the 4 week training for cdl then $90 a day when you go out with a trainer for 2-3 weeks. I don't know if they pay you a lump sum of $2,000 after the 4 week cdl training or every week?

Would $500-$1,000 be good?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    1st rule in trucking.
    -Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
    Bring this much...
    image.jpeg

4. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    1000 should suffice for a back up fund while you're out on the rd. It will at least pay for a cab ride to the airport and a plane ticket should things go sour. I'd keep 1500-2k just to be very safe

5. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    I wouldn't carry that much in cash. Get a debit card from Walmart for 3.00, in fact get two if you are married and load the card, spends like a credit card so it's always available. Maybe 200 in cash. With two cards your spouse can go to the local Walmart and load the card or you can send money home for very little charges.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  6. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    I was thinking of driving to the terminal where training is in my personal vehicle. If something doesn't work out then i can just drive home. But not working out is not an option for me i am doing this.

SHOJim, Jason G, Lepton1 and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. 426yankee

426yankee Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Charlottesville,VA
    I wouldn't count on any money from the company till its in your hand. Figure out how much you need for food and other stuff and have access to that, cause, when its all said and done, the only person you can count on is you

8. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    But if something happens while out on the road you need to get back to the terminal.

9. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Yeah i know but for 2-3 week otr training i should be able to handle that no problem. Roehl has one of the shortest otr training most are almost 2 months. I just looked at Greyhound bus to see how much tickets are and it's about $150 for a 1,000 miles.

Another reason why i want to drive is I have a chevy tahoe so i can sleep in the back easily if i don't want to share a room or can't get a good sleep for whatever reason during training. Will cost me about the same as a bus ticket or less for gas. The greyhound bus has at least 3 transfers too. So i rather drive in relaxation and be able to stop when and where i want to take a snooze or whatever.

I think roehl reimburses you too for gas money to get there.

But this is all up in there just thinking about options.

10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This money question has been brought up in here several times over the last few months. OP your looking at this wrong. Yes you want enough money to get home from anywhere in the country this is true. However this cash reserve is even more important AFTER you get finished with your training. If per chance you get fired the company will bring you into their closest terminal, not necessarily your home terminal. Keep this in mind and act accordingly.

11. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Roehl is the company that I started with, and from what I have seen, they are very good about getting people home that don't work out. There was even one guy in my class that was suspected of drug use. He had no car or money so they paid for a bus ticket to get him home. They are not some fly by night company that will leave you stranded.

One important thing to remember about roehl and other companies that offer paid training, that "paid training" is also your sign on bonus. They tend to mislead people into thinking they get paid training, and a sign on bonus on top of that, but that is not the case. Not that I am trying to scare you, roehl is a great starter company and their instructors are fantastic. I really enjoyed the training. Good luck!

1278PA Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.