How often is the CB used?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Trajan, May 25, 2016.

1. Trajan

Trajan Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2015
    I often hear truckers talking about how the CB is almost dead now, how much truth is in that?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerVinny

TruckerVinny Medium Load Member

Dec 10, 2015
    Ohio
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's on when we were in convoy as number one. Or sitting at reciever, shipper etc. Otherwise on but squelched unless something comes up such as a wreck.

The culture of the radio changed in these 40 years, It's gone from decent word usage to f this f that f something else and f f f. Blah.

ExOTR, Ougigoug, rabbiporkchop and 4 others Thank this.
  5. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I work at night. I always have mine on, but it's usually pretty quiet, unless there's a crash somewhere and traffic is backed up, or the base tower "clubs" are calling each other names and talking about how big their radio is...

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The Radio is dead, a smart phone like the one I have is able to access the internet and literally pull up whatever information within your location anywhere in the USA these days. My phone maps to 10 yards. With that map lies resources of the entire net. If something happens and my police department twitters, online scanner or whatever... im aware of it.

Long live the radio. Ive had lives including my own saved with that. Approximately a dozen if not more over the years. I'll hold on to mine.

7. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    We might not jabber on it like the old days, but it is an almost necessary tool. Many shippers and receivers use it to que to docks. Despite info being available online, hearing about a wreck on the cb may be faster. You can use it to get usable directions in a city where you've never been.

JReding and Timin770 Thank this.
  8. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    I won't drive without a CB. The CB traffic is certainly different than 'back in the day', but I find that when the crap REALLY hits the fan, the airwaves come alive

9. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Two weeks ago coming around a blind corner got a call.... hey eastbound, wreck right around the corner. I immediately hit the jakes and started slowing down. Got around the last bit of corner and a highway patrol officer was in the road setting flares. This was a 60 mph zone for trucks and 70 for cars and the line was already backing up. Hit my 4 ways and beacons to warn cars behind me.

Or you are on a narrow 2 lane and 12' wide and over the hill comes a pilot car. You know he is at least 12'6" but then you hear that he is 15+ and you are looking for a wide spot to put 27' past each other on a 20-24 foot wide road with no shoulder and 10' ditches.

10. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    had almost the same thing Monday cnsper. Was strolling out of Birmingham AL on I-20 headed to ATL and got a warning about a poor Millis driver who had pulled off onto soft shoulder and was leaning about as far as he could lean without tipover. The right lane was blocked by mucho troopers and a couple large wreckers but I knew 2-3 miles in advance what was up

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I see that another CB thread has started and I see the same positions being stated. I am old enough to remember when CB radio was only a novelty in Trucks. I remember the days when one channel was used out west and another back east. I also remember the days when I actually enjoyed listening to CB. Not today, I am retired now but my last few years on the road I kept mine OFF and only used it when I had to.

Lepton1 and Dominick253 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.