How to be a well rounded driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Eethomas685, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Eethomas685

Eethomas685 Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2016
    NY
    I'm looking for advice on how to manage home life and work life when being a new (OTR) driver? I'm definitely having reservations about leaving behind my wife and infant son, but mostly keeping a good relationship with the baby while working. I know this is a good opportunity to support my family and make our life better in the long run so I'd like some advice on how to best keep the balance.

smokeybandit23 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Eat at McDonald's every day. You will be well rounded in a couple months lol.

Friday, cnsper, LGarrison and 20 others Thank this.
  4. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    OTR makes it hard to have a life outside trucking. Don't discount that it is possible to get a local job being a new driver. Depending where you are located, it may not be easy.

Honestly, I run into way to many newbies that cannot handle the whole OTR thing. They think they can but they can't. This isn't helped a bit by the companies that are far from honest about the situation. Almost claim they can get you home for 2 days every other week. Few are able to manage that and often a new driver is forced into staying out 6-8 weeks at a time with only one full day home after that stretch.

For the sake of your family, look hard for something local. Not regional, local.

Pintlehook Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Well Rounded in bad words, dealing with Parasites, and learning about dangerous areas far from home.

If you have a baby infant, stay home please. If you can. Ive seen first hand too many marriages bust up when a driver down the counter has a argument with wife far from home on the phone about babies.

Starboyjim Thanks this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ya know.. Ive seen big and small. The small ones always get me. Like 90 pounds 5 foot throwing chain. Or the monsters 400 tilting the tractor that stays tilted after they dismount. Ugh.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. Broke_and_Hungry

Broke_and_Hungry Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Michigan
    You should have asked permission before posting my photo. At least you got my good side!

Lepton1 and bottomdumpin Thank this.
  9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Being OTR means not being home and missing important family events. I don't know of any tricks except leave OTR when you can and work locally or regionally.

Ryan423 Thanks this.
  10. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Are there any LTL companies by your house? I'd try that first. You don't want to be on the other side of the country with a wife and infant.

11. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    I pulled these 2 quotes, shown below, from another post - back in the saddle.

Whatever decision you do make, the absolute best of luck to both you and your family!

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.