How to figure out the break even point?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by miket11, May 25, 2016.

1. miket11

miket11 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Hi,

I got a dry van and need to figure out how to calculate the break even point. I usually just book loads based on my cost of fuel and other expenses, basically a rule of thumb. I want to be able to have a better look at my numbers even though with such cheap freight there isn't anything to look at anyways.
    Can someone advise me how to figure out the break even point? What expenses need to be included. What times what? divide by what? plus or minus? Basically the whole formula.

Thanks to all.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    How long have you been booking and billing your own loads for?

4. miket11

miket11 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Hi, Thanks for the reply.

That is kind of an irrelevant question, don't you think? But, if it makes the difference to answer my question, I've been an O/O for 9 years.

Thanks.

5. Cledus Snow

Cledus Snow Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2015
    There still will be posts telling you, if you don't know, you're not ready yet lol. Nobody is ever ready if you ask questions on this site. Just wait, the know-it-alls will be along soon.....

6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Not to sound mean but you haven't got it figured out yet?

You are obviously above what your break even point is.

7. miket11

miket11 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Haha yehh I know. And the know it all are those that don't know anything and just like to troll. Its like those people who want to get their 5 seconds of fame on TV and do stupid things. Oh well, there is no way to get stupid out of this country. Just have to smile and wave at them. :)

8. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    It only matters in figuring out if you have enough data to make the calculations.

That being said: All truck expenses, including - but not limited to - fuel, HUT, maintenance, repairs, taxes, driver pay (you gotta pay yourself something, somehow), insurance (truck, cargo, medical/dental/life - if your business model pays that, otherwise include that in your driver pay, OCC - if you use it), tolls, any fees incurred (lumpers, EFS charges, etc). Add all that together. Divide by number of miles. That's what it takes to run your business.

9. Cledus Snow

Cledus Snow Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Actually they do know what they're talking about, most of them anyways. It's just that they don't won't give guidance to guys trying to better themselves. It's like they are the only ones smart enough to own their own truck. If someones mind ventures into the entrepreneurial section of their brain, and posts here to find more info they will be shut down, and sometimes ridiculed for being uninformed and not smart enough as they are. They ALL forget, they were green at one time, and someone mentored them at some point.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  10. miket11

miket11 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Thanks for the kindly response.
    For the most part I understand what expenses need to be included but want to make sure I do the calculations correctly. It's not like all that I need to do is add up the expenses. Lets say I have all the expenses and I have all my miles for last year. What do I do from there?

Anyone have an excel template they are willing to share?

Again, thanks

11. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Break even per mile = Expenses / miles

miket11 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.