How to find quiet parking?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by tnscavenger, Jul 2, 2015.

1. tnscavenger

tnscavenger Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Maynardville, TN
    Is there a rule of thumb about what part of a rest area/ truck stop lot should be quite? I have a battery powered APU that keeps me comfortable, and it is very quite. I don't sleep well with a truck's engine fan cycling on/off next to me every 30 seconds.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Go nose in

DTP, Call_me_Tom and rachi Thank this.
  4. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    You can try, but good luck. Truckers have a herd mentality. As soon as you try to go to the remote part of the lot to get away from everyone, trucks will head over there and park right next to you.

I've stopped in abandoned truck stops ... 3 acres of parking ... no trucks around at all ... go to the remotest corner of the lot ... within an hour I'll have trucks parked on either side of me, while the rest of the lot is empty.

5. marineman227

marineman227 Dock Waterer

Jan 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I intentionally park next to a truck that's running when I can. I used to always leave it running but now have a battery pack APU and shut down. With the AC running it causes a slight vibration so if I park next to a running truck it feels like mine is running and I sleep like a baby.

You could just request to always stay in the northeast with the idle laws.

6. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    There is no rule of thumb. Not sure there are any rules whatsoever at truck stops/rest areas anymore.

Like mentioned already, you can nose in. Ya just have to make sure you park in a spot you can get back out of if the lot fills up.

You can also, elect to drive at night. Then the lots will be mostly empty when you're sleeping.

Or, what I did was to get a small somewhat noisy fan to run while sleeping. It helps dull the sounds outside of your vehicle.

tnscavenger Thanks this.
  7. marineman227

marineman227 Dock Waterer

Jan 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Please don't nose in if you're pulling a 53. A 48 is fine but most lots are designed for the overhang on a 53 to go over the curb. If you nose in you hang out 5 feet past everyone else and make a small lot even smaller

8. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth

That depends on the size of the lot and where you park

peterd Thanks this.
  9. WesternEmpire

WesternEmpire Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Arcade, NY
    That's a tough one, I pull a reefer and have an APU on the truck so I try to be mindful of where I park. If the spot I see has a truck with the windows down I'll look for another option, (unless of course it's a company that likes running the middle lane of a 70 mph+ road at 62, then I'll make an effort to get that spot).

10. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    I like to nose in and I wear ear plugs. Sleep like a baby -

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  11. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Do you think the driver that doesn't have enough courtesy to dump his piss bottle in the trash is going to care whether you get a good night sleep

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.