How to get a truck with no money down and bad credit

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Truckers_Cow_Girl, Oct 14, 2009.

1. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slabrunner

slabrunner Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Muskegon, MI
    That's a nice looking rig in Pioneer, OH!

4. crop jocky

crop jocky Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2009
    good post napier, and Rydah, I'm in the same boat as you cow girl. I'm getting my CDL-A after learning that I love the road after hauling FEMA campers to the gulf and then campers nationwide. I also don't have much cash but I'm fortunate enought to have parents that want me to provide for my children so They'll put the $5000 cash up front for deposit on a Penske Rental tandem sleeper. The rent is $575/week plus 9 cents per mile, so about $1000/week plus fuel. I figure since it's a newer truck that I don't have to worry AT ALL about breakdowns, tires, etc. I'll probably get better fuel mileage anyway so it may work out for the better. I'm admitting I don't have it all figured out, but I sure don't want to put the same $5000 down on a truck that might need an inframe rebuild or worse in less than a month. That would be devistating for me, so I might make less in the long run, but I won't look like a stooge with constant breakdowns and days or weeks at the shop in a far-away town. Hopefully this route will allow me to save, albeit slower, but nonetheless I'll make money constantly instead of just when my clunker isn't broke, like your intended route MIGHT take you on. There's probably better routes for me than a Penske Rental and I beg someone to give us details that would put us in a truck for the same or cheaper with "NO WORRIES". If we can just stay on the road for weeks or months with no breakdowns and 2000 or more miles/week we'll probably be able to save up for an '04-'07 truck that has a warranty. I want to be able to gradually pay off the deposit to my parents so when I have a truck in my sights that requires the $5000 deposit thats sitting when I return the truck rental for good. Buying vs. renting isn't always a better option especially if you don't have $3K-$8K for a backup plan even if its just a pre-set-up loan to keep you moving. Hope this helps and I hope the experienced truckers know of a better option available to us.

Wow for what your paying you could buy a brand new truck. Im trying to figure this out 575 per week plus mileage ok looks like 3271 per month. You must have you own authority and trailer other wise unless your making $4 per mile this is unreal . Please fill me in???? Also only 2000 miles per week, wow and only less than a years exsperience please fill me in.

Big_Perv93 Thanks this.
  5. kwswan

kwswan Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2009
    mcminnville,tn.
    you need to visit an oem shop & see how many of the trucks they are working on are newer vs. older. you might be surprised.you can run over a nail,screw,a piece of metal going down the road & ruin a new tire just like you can a older one.i would look for a late model used truck that already had an inframe on the engine or if you find a truck you like,take it to a shop of your choice & have it inspected. try to have it run on a dyno also.this is my opinion for what it's worth.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  6. Billyjack

Billyjack Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2008
    London, KY
    If anyone is in the market for an almost new truck or even an older model I am the man you need to talk to. I have 10 trucks (8 Peterbilts) (2 (09 Volvos) and 10 or 11 reefer trailers. Trailers are all 53 footers except one.

Dominick253 and trucker43 Thank this.
  7. kwswan

kwswan Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2009
    mcminnville,tn.
    what brand trls. what units? hours? how many $$

8. Billyjack

Billyjack Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2008
    London, KY
    I have Wabash, Utility and Great Dane. Thermo-King and Carrier units. Year models 1998 - 2007.

trucker43 Thanks this.
  9. trucker43

trucker43 Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Bay St Louis,Ms.
    I Tried Sending You A Message But I Don't Have Enough Posts. Anyway, What Kind Of DEALS Can You Do On Your Equipment? IE,Truck And 53ft Reefer?????

10. Bogey

Bogey Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2010
    columbus,OH & elkhart,IN
    CROPjocky wondered why I could make a 3200 payment (at 8400 miles X $.08/mi + $575/wk at Penske or $400/wk at RYDER) but my whole point was that when starting out, I didn't want to start a new job and have my truck break down in the first month. That alone is worth an extra grand. That would also give me a whole month to check out trucks for sale along my travels. I'm not saying its the IDEAL scenario, but I sure don't have the time or money to drive all over the country looking for a low mile, warranted truck with less than $5K down with bad credit (510 score) I might not make any money that first month but since I'm lucky to bring home $350/week now doing carpentry, it can't get much worse than that.
    Besides if I did only drive 2000 miles/week (8400/mo) X 6 cars #$.45/mi= $2.70/mi max or $1.9/mi @70% capacty X 5900/pd. mls. (+ 2500 dedhed mls) = $11,200 low to$15,900 max. How do I need $4/mile? After paying $3200 @penske or $2465 @Ryder plus $600/mo insur. + $4K fuel + $1700/mo trlr rent= $9500 or $1.13/mi expenses & leaving $1700 (low) to $6400 (high) net profit. I'm crazy with these numbers? WHERE?

trucker43 Thanks this.
  11. trucker43

trucker43 Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Bay St Louis,Ms.
    Billyjack,I'm Trying To Get A Hold Of You But I Don't Have Enough Post To PM And I Don't Know How To COMPLETELY Drive This Site Yet!!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.