How to get a Union Job

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by latanea, Sep 21, 2007.

1. TruckWife

TruckWife Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Thank you. We are based in Baltimore.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. speed12

speed12 Light Load Member

May 8, 2012
    scranton,pa
    As for driving for a company with union drivers there is good and bad.

The good, if your with that company for a long time, that's years and years then it's not to bad. The reason is you as the driver are on a seniority list will have your choice of the runs over the drivers under you. You can pick your runs before they have there turn to pick. In addition if it gets slow for the company as in business the higher up the seniority list those drivers will get the runs and the lower drivers might not even get to go to work that day.

The bad for driving union is as I said before if your low on the list your screwed. So if your just starting out union driving it's tuff and for a lot of years.

That's the way for union based companies maybe not all, but its like that, so watch out.

TruckWife Thanks this.
  4. TruckWife

TruckWife Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, he's pretty much screwed right now anyway. So, might as well be screwed heading towards a goal.

5. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    You live in an area where there is plenty of opportunity. The money in trucking is in LTL companies and home everyday. If I was him I would be getting some technical degree under my belt or even taking up an apprenticeship at a different union hall trade. He'll have a better success rate. Unless he becomes an owner operator trucking is pretty much a dead end job. You make a decent wage but have the added expense of living on the road and being away from your family.

6. scottie1969

scottie1969 Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2013
    looking for a union job also
    wife is pregnant and want to be home nightly
    can you help
    im based out of chicago

7. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    typical union guy mentality..dont buy their union crap and they get very defensive and rude.

sdaniel Thanks this.
  8. gravdigr

gravdigr Road Train Member

May 2, 2011
    Hollidaysburg, PA
    Here in central PA unless you can find a union job the pay is crap. Best employers here to work for...norfolk southern (union), usps (my daddy wasusps postal workers union for 17 years), etc... Though sheetz is decent and I believe non union. I interviewed with abf almost 3 weeks ago just waiting to hear if I cleared HR. I will work casual for 90 days before being hired full time, but even casual pay is $20/hour...my fiancees sister has worked for sheetz for over 20 years and is around $15/hour. Standard of living is so low here if you make $500/week you are rich.

9. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Out of the 50 states, 48 of them on the mainland, 24 states out of 50 states are "right to work" states. Just recently, in the last year or so, both Indiana and Michigan became "right to work" states.

Between the "right to Work" states, an economy that just doesn't seem to want to pick up, and the illegal immigrants in the U.S.A., along with the global economy, the days of a strong union, as the Teamsters, are looking at being phased out into oblivion. There seems to be too much stacked against them.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

Moon_beam Thanks this.
  10. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Your Mailbox
    You have to look into the LTL companies like ABF, and a few others to get a union job. I don't think any OTR companies are union.

11. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Your Mailbox
    USPS is one of the hardest jobs in the industry to get. If you're lucky enough to find a DC that's hiring, the process can take 3 or more months to get hired. If you're lucky enough to get hired, you're hired as a PSE, which is a contracted employee with no benefits. It may take several years before you get benefits as a MVS driver. Mind you, your criminal, medical, driving and DAC records need to be spotless as well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.