How to make money in trucking....????

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by jrsytrucker, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Quickest way to make $1,000,000 in trucking is to start with $2,000,000!:biggrin_2559:

The Challenger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    If you count it up that way yes,.. every hour worked on and off the books. I agree,.. we all get screwed.

I started back in the 80's. I worked mainly local,.. but once or twice a month I would go out on the road do an 'out of state' run. I'd rarely ever be gone for more than 1 or 2 weeks. Was always put up in a hotel. Had a $26 per day per diem paid up front. This was back when you could get 2 Whoppers for $.99 each. Much much different today.

The only reason I am back to doing what I am doing is that my family needs more than $13hr for 35 - 40 hours to survive. My current paychecks far exceed that. Yes I am away from home. I hate being away from home. Yes I work insane hours both on and off the books. And its not that I am not educated,.. because I am. I just dont know what else to do that pays what I get now. So call it what you guys want. But instead of working 2 or 3 $12 hr jobs locally,.. I work just one that covers all of my families needs. If anyone knows a job that pays what I get now and all I have to do is work 40 hrs a week,.. well,.. I am all ears.

Hurst

The Challenger Thanks this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Well, I suppose if I had 100% faith in Wendy's recruiters I would probably believe your numbers.... ;)

Gosh, 55 hours a week, 52 weeks a year... no vacation or time off... sounds like a dream job.

5. landstar8891

landstar8891 Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2012
    NY NY
    Even at 600.00 week at 50 weeks they do better than MOST DRIVERS ANYMORE..Trucking has become a ''burger flipper'' job classified as UN-SKILLED LABOR..

6. NYROADIE

NYROADIE Heavy Load Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Rochester NY
    After reading so many of your "slamming truck drivers" post I can't help but wonder why your so miserable? Are you one of the under paid? if so why? Can't make appt times? Got a DUI? How about other tickets? Or are just one of "those guys" that think you should be paid more just cause your you?
    I get paid alot more than you have in your example AND I'm home every day and weekend. So keep whineing about being underpaid and hope someone GIVES you what you want, but don't even think of going out and EARNING IT!

7. landstar8891

Feb 4, 2012
    NY NY
    You have to understand the ''trucker mentality''..There are truth seekers and there are drivers running from the truth..Which are you.?.I seek truth...I CALL IT THE WAY I SEE IT..!!!!...And driver abuse is at an unltimate high these days...So sad for the new people in trucking...tisk tisk

8. landstar8891

Feb 4, 2012
    NY NY
    By the way.Where is all this so called ''big'' money you are making in Rottonchester..?..You better say Wegmans.That is the only gig that pays up there.I have an uncle there for many many years...So Please enlighten me..:biggrin_25522:

9. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    That 32 hour limit just got cut to 20 with the new Obamacare insurance requirement. Not only will managers be pressed to eliminate overtime they will be required to keep hours low enough to not trigger health care costs. I could believe that a fast food manager would get 55 hours a week. He is the only one there getting benefits and has to coordinate a huge staff of part time minimum wage employees who think nothing of blowing off work because the weather is nice. He is also probably salaried and "exempt" from overtime laws. I would rather drive a truck.

10. landstar8891

Feb 4, 2012
    NY NY
    One of the big reasons people argue about ''good money'' is that everyone has a different opinion on what good money is...IMO after many years trucking is this...

Company Drivers with less than 1 year should be making about 40,000 - 50,000

Company Drivers with 1 + years and over should be grossing 60,000 - 75,000 a year...

Owner Ops should be grossing 150,000- 200,000 a year...

Anything LESS,i would not get out of bed..

Again this is IMO...

11. MZdanowicz

MZdanowicz Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2013
    peabody, ma
    if you own your rig, do not leave out small "milk Runs". I ship for my family any where {seafood} I have to.But I have done many small jobs for
    good money.One case I shipped lobster pots from from friendship maine to salem mass for a buck a trap. I got 325 traps in the trailer and I
    was done in 5 hours. Most of that time was loading. Tf I don't have the the traile-r I Need I will rent one

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.