How to register truck

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by powerstroke_23, Oct 1, 2015.

1. powerstroke_23

powerstroke_23 Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2015
    I just bought an 06 volvo single axle truck to pull my race car trailer with. Truck and trailer in my avatar. All the truck is gonna be used for is to pull that trailer with and nothing else so how should I register it. I haven't got it weighed yet but my guess is probably around 30k. I live in ohio and will probably go into michigan and indiana a few times a year. Any advice

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Will you be driving or a hired driver?

4. powerstroke_23

Sep 30, 2015
    I'll be the only one driving

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Is the race car raced for money?

They will ask this when you get pulled over and asked for your commerical paper.

To answer your question, and to go along with the above statement, you should look into registering it as an RV.

6. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Register as RV, you're a little high on weight, power shoud be around 16K trailer 3K.

7. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Trailer is more then 3k. But definitely not 14k.

8. powerstroke_23

Sep 30, 2015
    Trailer weighs 8500 empty and loaded it's right around 13k

9. powerstroke_23

Sep 30, 2015
    What's the requirements for it to be registered as an rv

10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    If you are registered as an RV and you use it to transport the race car entered into a competition that pays money to the winners, you risk a large fine for the improper registration if you get stopped. Horse people run into the same issue when they register their living quarters equipped horse trailer as an RV and then use it to haul their horses to a show, rodeo, or other competition. Such use of the vehicle is not "recreational", even if the vehicle would otherwise pass scrutiny no questions asked.

If you're competing, it is "commercial" use...especially if money changes hands. Register it accordingly, or at the very least, put regular truck tags on it for the appropriate weight. Trying to save money by slapping RV tags on it will cause more problems than the money saved is worth.

11. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    So make sure if your ever stopped that you tell them there is no money involved. Say that you do it for your own personal enjoyment and you will be fine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.