How to shift a 5 and 4

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by slim66, Oct 18, 2008.

1. speculator59

speculator59 Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2012
    MY last post was ment to answer member 6aa question. New to this site and thought it would place it directly under his post but it didnt.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    A 13 speed doesn't have a 3 speed aux. It has a 2 speed aux like a 9 speed with an overdrive used only on the high side.

4. ColoradoGreen

ColoradoGreen Heavy Load Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Both of the trucks with sticks I've driven had had deep-underdrive auxilliaries in them, one was a 6x4, the other was a 5x4. The 5x4 was the first truck I drove with sticks...

If you were starting in your lowest gear, which I always heard simply referred to as deep-under, you had both boxes in first, shift through the gears on the auxilliary box (and, remember, NEVER round the corners on the horsecollar shift from under to direct in the auxilliary box), then grab a gear in the mainbox and return to underdrive (second) on the auxilliary, keep shifting through the gears in this pattern, always skipping deep-underdrive (first) on the auxilliary box until you hit 4th-over (4th and 4th), from there, just swing it into 5th-over on the close ratio between 4th and 5th on the mainbox...

On the 6x4, it's much the same pattern, but, you could run 4th-over, 5th-over, and 6th-over without splitting the auxilliary box. 4th to 5th on the mainbox was an unusual shift to me because it was back and a dog-leg to the right into the gear, but, it made 6th an easy gear to grab, straight-forward, and you had both sticks up against the dash...

5. speculator59

Oct 22, 2012
    last I knew of overdrive was also a gear. Low which is also in direct= 1 speed/ High in direct = 2nd speed/ High in overdrive = 3rd speed/ Hence the 3 speed gearbox!

6. L.B.

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    If one of the gears in the transmission takes you past the 1:1 ratio tecchnically it is an overdrive but in a 13 or 18 speed it changes the ratio after it leaves the transmission (technically, since it is still encased in the transmission) and the gears giving you upper and lower range are a separate set of gears. If it were a 3 speed aux you would have three ranges, not two.

7. L.B.

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    This is also why a 9 speed can be converted into a 13 speed and visa versa. Just by adding or removing the overdrive gears

8. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    ahhhhhhh memories
    and while you had your arm stuck thru the 30 inch wheel to shift you hit a pothole and dislocated your shoulder
    and of course no power steering

9. speculator59

Oct 22, 2012
    so all these years the 5x4 transmission should be called a 5x3 with overdrive? I think not.

10. speculator59

Oct 22, 2012
    Here is something else for you to think about LB, Since there are technically only 2 gears in the front section of a super 10 would you call it a 2 speed box or would you still call it a 5 speed?

11. L.B.

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    I wasn't talking about a 5x4 in this description. And I believe I also said any transmission that goes past the 1:1 ratio is an overdrive.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.