How to test if fun clutch is working properly? plz volvo D13 / 2008

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Johny41, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    About 2 weeks , driving in stop and go traffic, through San Antonio a hose behind the engine going to air compressor burst, I lost all coolant , towed the truck . Now I see another thick hose bulged on top going in radiator . I'm thinking must be some excessive pressure, I'm pulling light loads ,mostly flat and I didn't hear my fan engaging making typical noise for awhile; and coolant temperature stays in limits 170-210F. Does the bad fan throw codes?
    I would appreciate some tips, plz.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'm not really up to speed on Volvo specifically but your truck is now 8 years old. Rad hoses do have a life span and do need to be replaced as time goes on. If one hose has already blown and another is bulging I'd say you're about due to replace them all.

4. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    depends what kind of fan clutch you have usually doesn't throw codes if you have just an air operated but it does throw a code if solenoid goes bad. check if you have exesive psi in the cooling system either from air compressor or maybe bad cups and it's putting compression in the cooling system have seen this a lot with volvo d12 and d13 when you fix broken hoses your not fixing the problem just fixing the effects of the problem

G13Tomcat and Johny41 Thank this.
  5. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I just replaced rad lower hose and 2 on top plus a connecting pipe this afternoon, and noticed the fan spinning normal when I start the motor . I hope Northern Mechanic is right, the hoses were too old, I don't want to spend anymore $ ,lool :)

6. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    ^^^^ I'm not an O/O, but I work for one when not driving, and am ASE certified as well. (Pretty much service my "own" PB at his expense; nice deal as I get paid hourly for the servicing.) No clue on Volvos, either, but the replies you got here are EXACTLY what I would do. Like NOW. PM is easier when we don't have to "ask, beg, or budget."
    Best luck, driver.

Johny41 Thanks this.
  7. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Not always. I've had both a D12 & D13 that had bad solenoid.. both time's they never throw a code

Johny41 Thanks this.
  8. Savva

Savva Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2018
    key off, the fan will stuck to the engine, you will not be able to spin it, now key on, the clutch release the fan and you got to be able to spin it easy; that mean the clutch is properly working

Johny41 Thanks this.
  9. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    It was two years ago , I'm fairly certain they got it figured out.

Post dates are located bottom left.

flood and NoBigHurry Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.