How's Life Doing Walmart Dedicated with Prime? Recommended for new driver?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by YoungGuns, Apr 24, 2015.

1. YoungGuns

YoungGuns Light Load Member

May 27, 2010
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I am considering going through Prime's training program and working their Walmart dedicated out of Shelbyville, TN. Here's the info I got from the recruiter:
    $150-$170 a day
    Home daily
    Prefer to live within 30 miles of Shelbyville
    Varying work schedules, but they tend to want 6 days a week. However, some do work part time. He mentioned 6/2 and 14/2.
    Days or nights available
    Mileage is not per cpm...didn't ask, but that's readily available on other threads.

I believe that it is no touch reefer from what all I have read.

Anybody here work it and/or think it's a good way to get started in the industry? Am I to assume that I am going to be working close to 14 hours a day every day I work?

My biggest hangup is this not counting for otr experience. Long term, I want a more specialized niche like dry bulk, flatbed, or linehaul where I am gone through the week but have weekend hometime as opposed to traditional otr. I think this may put unnecessary barriers to my future options, but thought it was worth looking into.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Medium Load Member

May 23, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    I run dedicated out of Shelbyville and I really enjoy it. I'm division 112, which means that I am considered regional. I don't live close to Shelbyville so I stay in my truck here and have the same home time policies as an otr driver. The recruiter gave you pretty much accurate info. I would call the freight no touch*. You are responsible for pulling labels from the pallets as they are being unloaded and also operating the bulkheads as we use 3 zone trailers. 14 hour days, while frequent, are not an every day occurrence. Most days are 9-12 hours. It's a good gig and an easy one in my opinion. I like it.

I will offer a word of advice, if you are going through PSD, try like hell to get one of the trainers that runs out of Shelbyville. The reason why is that doing your training all OTR doesn't prepare you for the driving conditions down here. We run a lot of two lane and secondary roads and city surface streets. It would put you at an advantage to do your PSD training here so you aren't coming in blind to the differences between running here and OTR like I was when I got here.

cuzzin it and YoungGuns Thank this.
  4. ZhenyaP1991

ZhenyaP1991 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I do walmart too, not for prime tho. For me OTR was better learning experience cause it starts you off slow and makes you more used to the truck and teaches you how to drive in north east region, and backing is a ##### at some consignees specially heavy downtown areas. But this walmart account is piece of cake, you'll get used to it in a short amount of time. Backing is simple, lot of miles, and not hard to find your stops. This is a great account to be on

Chucktshoes and YoungGuns Thank this.
  5. YoungGuns

YoungGuns Light Load Member

May 27, 2010
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Thanks for the info! Yea, the recruiter mentioned I would still have to do the training otr, which I am not thrilled about.

My biggest concern now is the lack of otr experience hurting my future job opportunities.

6. Broshears

Broshears Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Pleasant Hill, Mo
    I did a walmart dedicated account out of Olney, IL for my PSD training. It was great training, lots of backroads, city streets and tight areas to help learn backing etc and driving in traffic. Everyone I've talked to says they love it, I dislike it for one I like being out on the open road doing the same runs tends to get boring but it is easy work, If I had a family and or wanted to be home every day/ more frequent I'd go do it in a heart beat but being single, and having family spread all across the US I like OTR better.

Only downside that I've talked to few drivers on the dedicated routes that live local to where the DC is they do not have the same truck all the time they swap trucks out, at least at the Olney, IL walmart account.

Good luck in your adventures and stay safe.

mem and YoungGuns Thank this.
  7. Truemac

Truemac Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2013
    One thing I wanted to add about doing Walmart Dedicated: If you'd like, you can ask your fleet manager to transfer you to Division 111. It's an OTR fleet that runs for the Olney DC. We still do the same runs, but we keep our own trucks and follow the same hometime policy as a regular OTR driver at Prime. You can switch between that and regular country-wide runs at any time, though I'm okay staying here. I live too far to be assigned to the dedicated fleet, but I live close by one of the areas we deliver to, so when they send me out that way, I'll take my 10 at the house after making my stops. Also makes getting home for hometime a non-issue.

It's not for eveyone, but I'm comfortable where I'm at.

8. Thephoenixlives

Thephoenixlives Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2013
    What kind of pay on the otr wal mart could be expected after insurance

9. redeye18

redeye18 Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Lewisburg,Tn
    What is the pay on a Wal Mart account?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.