I deliver to shoprite stores, only one bad receiver.

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Pumpkin Oval Head, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    This weekend receiver has a bad reputation among all the drivers that deliver there. He leaves the dock area for a coffee and cigarette break for 45 minutes mid morning when deliveries are coming in, bread, buns, produce, and my frozen food.

I am told by one of the drivers that used to work there that he is buddies with the store manager and gets by with doing a poor job. Drivers are afraid to complain to the store manager as it would get back to this receiver and he could make life miserable for them. I don't know the grocery store business that well yet, but I would guess this receiver will be able to get by for quite a while, as he already has.

I would talk to the store manager, but don't know if it would do any good....if I can find out who the store owner is, that might get the store manager to do something. I just hate to see this receiver do such a lousy job with the drivers. Maybe the the store manager could at least get the guy to do his job....will have to wait and see if I get routed back there. I would feel better if I told the store manager about this lazy receiver.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    Wait, you work for shoprite? O/O or company

4. Pumpkin Oval Head

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    I am a company driver for a company that contracts for deliveries to shoprite.

5. kw550cat

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    This is kinda a side question but on average, how much do you work a day, and how many miles a week do you run? I gotta offer to lease on with a company that pulls for shoprite and am curious. Also, how many loads are preloaded and drop-hooks vs driver loads/unloads and multi-stops.

6. Pumpkin Oval Head

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    I only work two days a week, and I run out of gouldsboro pa. dc to stores in nj and philly. My runs are the same as the full timers. I get 3 stops per trip on average for about 280 - 300 miles a day. I pull the yellow trailers.

All my loads are preloaded at the dc. All my loads are live unload by the grocery stores. I don't touch freight. The stores usually take off about 7 pallets each.

I do see o/o waiting to get loaded at the dc. The dc is run by americold. They also have a doc in fogelsville, pa. Been there once for a back haul and it was a live load.

Usually takes 10 - 11 hours a day. Depends on traffic or if I have to wait for a dock at a store. Most stores only keep one dock open...the rest have trailers parked for storage.
    I leave the dc between 4:30 and 5:00 a.m.

kw550cat and Ruthless Thank this.
  7. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Go above the store manager. Regional manager or ceo. Ask other drivers to do the same. You are not getting detention pay right?

Pumpkin Oval Head Thanks this.
  8. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    #### he gave the low down- you were thinking the place off exit 12 tho, no? I know a kid used to pull out of there..I'll ask him for some info if that's what you were looking to know?

kw550cat Thanks this.
  9. Pumpkin Oval Head

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    Correct, no detention pay.

10. kw550cat

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    Appreciate it. Just looking to know the details surrounding the whole deal becasue noone talks pay over the phone/ until you waste half a day in their office. Don't feel like wasting half a day.

11. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I delivered to a shoprite in long Island last stop two pallets. All the guys hated this guy & they go there everyday local vendors. He was treating them like he handed out their food. I kindly in my less then freindly manner told him. Your out of your mind if you think I got up this morning to listen to your mouth over two pallets of juice. Don't take them I'll leave & still get paid. I told him a person like you needs to work in a rock quarry not with people. Like stated someone needs to report these clowns to upper management not the store manager he or she already knows about these clowns. Go beat rocks drivers don't want to hear your junk. One last thought a young guy use to give drivers trouble at bozzutos in Connecticut. One of the top guys was there that morning fired him on the spot told him you don't talk to people like that.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.