I have a 2015 4900 with a detroit It is a dump truck so I dont want to pull it out of service now.

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by MrMagoo0010, Jul 5, 2015.

1. MrMagoo0010

MrMagoo0010 Bobtail Member

Jul 5, 2015
    The problem is that while the A/c works it will not blow the air into the cab and ices up. anyone with a similar problem or suggestions

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    Reason for edit: more specific
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cetane+

Cetane+ Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    Really it seems you should be asking the dealer you paid all that money to. Theres a thermoprobe that should be touching the condenser. that tells it when it gets too cold. Short term backyard fix, leave fan on and turn the a/c on when the air is hot, then off when it slows down? Repeat 4 billion times a day.

4. MrMagoo0010

Jul 5, 2015

5. MrMagoo0010

Jul 5, 2015
    thx This is our super busy season and I don't want to pull the truck. Your response would solve the iceing issue but not the air blowing into the cab Do you know if there is some type of flap that may not be opening. The cold air is there but being blocked somehow

6. Cetane+

Cetane+ Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    When was the last time you put new cabin air filters in? They will get BLOCKED in ONE day in dusty environments. You need to run the recycle 100% of the time or clean them EVERY day. There is no flapper or block inside the ducts between the blower and the defrost, floor, or panel vents. the only possibilities are the filters, or even worse the heater core or condenser is blocked with frost or debris, because someone removed the filters because they were blocked.

7. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    What Cetane+ said. Check the cab filters. When they get real dirty they restrict air flow, then the condenser freezes to a block of ice and no air will pass.
    Western Star has the worst cab filters known to man, and the 4900 seems to suck in every particle of dirt on the planet.

vikingswen Thanks this.
  8. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    Isn't that the truth. I feel like I am driving a shop vac. I stopped at a Canadian dealer to see if they had any filters to mount on the outside of the air intake like they offer for other trucks, but nothing was available. I am thinking about making a snorkel for the intake like they use down under.

9. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Yes, I tried that too. I actually helped Cab Fresh Filter company redesign their filters for the Paystar 5600i's when I had mine. I've been thinking of contacting them again and seeing if they can make an external for the Star. They do make superior replacements for the stock ones though.
    I tried duct taping some of their filter media over that intake hole behind the breather, but it seemed to restrict the air flow too much when it got dirty.

vikingswen Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.