I need some advice and career change in texas

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by TexasPrideZ71, Oct 7, 2016.

1. TexasPrideZ71

TexasPrideZ71 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2016
    San saba texas
    Hi guys i am currently employed as a leather craftsmen honestly its a dead end for me. I am thinking about getting my cdl mainly for oilfiled work or hauling equipment, i do know i need to go to a school to get trained question is what school i know a couple in dallas and san antoino.

And honestly i never had truck driving experience but i do know a thing or to about them, went to college at tstc for diesel mechanic but ended up leaving with a semester to go back in 2012

I appreciate the advice guys

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Why not finish the semester? That would be a good way to switch jobs.

As for truck driving, I'm from Fort Worth and I went to C1. It was a mill but I like them that way. Quick and dirty. Oilfield work is very rare these days so don't count on it.

4. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
  5. TexasPrideZ71

Oct 7, 2016
    San saba texas
    Thanks i thought about going back, but i dont think that will be a job i would enjoy. At the time I thought it would be pretty cool, but got to thinking about long term and decided to call it quits. (There is some more to this i don't want to go into )

I am hoping if i go through with this, i hope. I dont make the same mistake again... But i am older now and quitting isnt happening.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    ethos Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's some pretty good flatbed outfits that will hire you from cdl school. Paul Transportation is one of them. There's more!
    Do a year with Paul Transportation, then if you still want to haul heavy equipment or oil field pipes,etc. switch to The Waggoners Trucking or Lone Star Transportation.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    NavigatorWife and TexasPrideZ71 Thank this.
  7. TexasPrideZ71

Oct 7, 2016
    San saba texas
    Thank you sir, I appreciate it i will look into those companies.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. TexasPrideZ71

Oct 7, 2016
    San saba texas
    Ok i got a question, was heading down to Killeen, texas and saw action career trucking and i can make that drive and stay with family near by (50miles) what are yalls thoughts?

Looked at paul transportation in OK is a little bit of a stretch for me but i will keep that in mind for sure. That company seems pretty good, and will probably work with me as well?

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Contact that school near you and ask how long it is.
    160 hrs. is ideal. After contacting the school, call the company you want and ask if they will hire from that school and also ask if you need hazmat endorsement.
    Why is Paul Transportation a stretch for you? You're in their hiring area. Give them a call.

NavigatorWife and TexasPrideZ71 Thank this.
  10. DustMyBroom

DustMyBroom Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2016
    Just went through Otr orientation with a lady who posts here who was coming from the Texas oilfields. She said the money isn't there anymore.

TexasPrideZ71 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.