I smell diesel fumes in my sleeper

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by OOwannaBE, Aug 27, 2015.

1. OOwannaBE

OOwannaBE Medium Load Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    * SOLVED * leaky fuel additive bottle in my side box. Not sure why I couldn't pinpoint the smell since it seemed to just float in the air from nowhere

I did a google search and everyone talks about exhaust fumes which isn't my problem. I smell diesel as if I just splashed a bunch of fresh diesel fuel on my mattress. The scent comes and goes at random and I cannot pinpoint where its coming from and I only smell it in the sleeper not the front. I put the truck in the dealer shop so I really hope they will find and fix the problem. Have you ever encountered or heard or this problem? At first I thought maybe I just stepped in a bunch of fuel in the island but the smell keeps coming and going so I suspect a fuel leak somewhere.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    PE_T Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Clarify: Diesel fumes or Exhausl fumes? There IS a difference.

4. OOwannaBE

Mar 12, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    Yes there is a difference and I stated fumes not exhaust thx.

5. ledfoott

ledfoott Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Hobart,in
    Go to www.truckmonoxide.com,or go to youtube put in truckmonoxide.com, watch the 10 vidieos

6. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Check your boots/shoes. Or if you're one of those Flippy McFlipFlop fellas, check them. You probably stepped in diesel at the pump.

lots of character Thanks this.
  7. SmokeyDiesel

SmokeyDiesel Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Sounds like you stepped in a puddle of diesel and tracked it inside the cab.

G.Anthony Thanks this.
  8. OOwannaBE

Mar 12, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah I checked that but I never wear my shoes in the sleeper ever and the sleeper is the only place I smell it.

truckon Thanks this.
  9. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    If you have a newer Cummins ISX it maybe the fuel line going to the DPF doser valve. They have been known to crack, spray fuel onto the hot exhaust and catch fire.

truckon and OOwannaBE Thank this.
  10. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Are you getting diesel on your gloves and storing them in the side box under the bunk? Are you also keeping additives under the bunk?

magoo68 and OOwannaBE Thank this.
  11. OOwannaBE

Mar 12, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    I keep my gloves in a ziplock bag near my front seat and been doing that for years without having this problem. However you are right about the additives I remember my shop adding some bottles to my side bunk and one day one of them fell out and cracked and the smell was really strong you may be into something I didnt think of that. If they say they cannot find the problem I will research those bottles. I did try to smell everything though to pinpoint the smell and it comes and goes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.