I took my air brakes, combination and general knowledge test and permit says no endorsements. HELP!!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by bluejet, Aug 30, 2016.

1. bluejet

bluejet Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2014
    So I passed all three tests and they gave my a non-excepted interstate learners permit, but where it says endorsements, it says "none". Is this correct????? Isn't it supposed to say air brakes and combination?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. David_Simpson

David_Simpson Medium Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    no, the endorsements are tankers, hazmat, doubles/triples

4. bluejet

Nov 8, 2014
    I have enrolled for cdl school and on their requirement form, it says:

All students must have a class A CDL permit with airbrakes and combination vehicle endorsement from their home state before arriving for school.

Was just worried because on the front of my permit, it has none for endorsements even though I did take the tests.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Second the endorsement on license for that 4.

What you want is to take a look at RESTRICTIONS. If you aint got em, thank your stars for your bright and gainful future.

Source...

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/commercial-drivers-license/drivers

Restrictions
    Restriction code
    Description

L
    If the driver does not pass the Air Brakes Knowledge Test, does not correctly identify the air brake system components, does not properly conduct an air brake systems check, or does not take the Skills test in a vehicle with a full air brake system, the driver must have an "L" no full air brake restriction placed on their license.
    Z
    If the driver takes the test in a vehicle with an air over hydraulic brake system, then they will have a "Z" no full air brake restriction placed on their license. In either case the driver is not authorized to operate a CMV equipped with full air brakes.
    E
    If the driver takes the Skills Test in a vehicle that has an automatic transmission, then an "E" no manual transmission restriction is placed on their license.
    O
    If the driver takes the Skills Test in a Class A vehicle that has a pintle hook or other non-fifth wheel connection, they will have an "O" restriction placed on their license restricting them from driving any Class A vehicle with a fifth wheel connection.
    M
    If a driver possesses a Class A CDL, but obtains his or her passenger or school bus endorsement in a Class B vehicle the State must place an "M" restriction indicating that the driver can only operate Class B and C passenger vehicle or school buses.
    N
    If a driver possesses a Class B CDL, but obtains his or her passenger or school bus endorsement in a Class C vehicle; the State must place an "N" restriction indicating that the driver can only operate Class C passenger vehicle or school buses.
    V
    If the State is notified by the FMCSA that a medical variance has been issued to the driver, the State must indicate the existence of such a medical variance on the CDLIS driving record and the CDL document using a restriction code "V" to indicate that there is information about the medical variance on the CDLIS record.

States may have a more restrictive category for a class of license, or have additional codes for endorsements or restrictions on CDLs that are not mentioned in the Federal regulations, as long as these items are fully explained on the license document.

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Stupid HR people writing specs. No air brake and auto tranny are restrictions. Combo is the diff from class a and class b license. As long as you have a class a permit with no restrictions you'll be good.

-Steven

7. bluejet

Nov 8, 2014
    Phew thanks guys. The only letter I have next to restrictions is B!

8. David_Simpson

Feb 23, 2016
    ok, class B trucks only.

i hope your school is gonna teach you on stick shifts, and that you take your DMV road test with a stick shift as well.

many states now are indeed putting a restriction code for automatic transmissions!

9. bluejet

Nov 8, 2014
    I mean on my class A learners permit, the only restriction I have is B meaning I need glasses.

10. David_Simpson

Feb 23, 2016
    oh, my bad, sorry, i thought it was for a class B truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.