I took my dot physical for a second time and they gave me a 2 year card. HELP!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by hankhill22, Jul 29, 2016.

1. hankhill22

hankhill22 Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2016
    ok so the first place I went to was a chiropractor that charged $40 for a physical. BP readings showed 156/100. She checked it again a few minutes later and it showed 158/102. Issued me a 3 month card. Took the card to the DMV since it was required to take cdl permit written test and wanted to get the written test out of the way and they inputted the info from my 3 month card so it's on file. The next couple of days, I went to a different location and BP showed 118/78. Doctor asked if my medical certificate has ever been denied or issued for less than 2 years and I said yes I have a card but it's less than 2 years. After everything is done and I get back home, I look at the papers she issued me, the box is checked "no" I have not been denied or issued a card less than 2 years".......... But I was issued a card for 3 months on my first try at another location.

So I received a 2 year card. What do I do here guys? I attend school soon and don't need any problems. Do I go back to the location and tell them to change it? I have not used any bp medications.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    No You go on with your life with a 2 year card. But you be careful about your health.

O.Henry Thanks this.
  4. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    A two year card is standard for the DOT physical.

5. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Don't forget to self certify that 2 year card

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    BP is a really hard thing to defeat if it is present in your body.

Take your 2 year card put it into your wallet with the CDL and go forth happy.

But be warned. If you do present with consistent high BP under manual reading (Not computer BP machines...) over and over again, you will be taught what diet and things you must eliminate to get it under control. I fought 140 over 100 for years manual until my trainer told me to not smoke for a week prior to medical test of BP. Plus eliminating salt. (Those MRE's with self heaters were the problem, thousands of MG of salt... daily.)

Even today eating like a bird my own BP is close to 130/95 at times and that is without coffee or exploding over some trivial bull.

Don't worry. The wheels of Government grind slow but sure. If there is something that comes up, it will. But if it never does, Don't go around living like a guilty prey. Stand tall with your 2 year med card.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  7. hankhill22

Jul 29, 2016
    Thanks guys. i was just worried because I read that if you get denied or get a medical card for less than 2 years on your first try, that your next card has to be 1 year and you cannot get a 2 year card.

I am going to update the info at the DMV tomorrow. It's showing on the DDS website that my previous card expires in 3 months, so hopefully there wont be any problems when the clerk inputs the info and sees that the box is checked that I have never got a DOT physical before when in their system it shows I did.

8. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    This is definitely a don't axe don't tell situation.

9. hankhill22

Jul 29, 2016
    So I can go to the DMV tomorrow and be ok updating my 3 month medical card they have on file?

10. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    I don't see why not. The exact same thing happened to me. I got a 3 month card initially when I got my permit. A few months later I got my CDL and a 2 year card. DPS took the 2 year card. DPS didn't ask any questions and neither did I.

I would recommend just updating the card and don't ask any questions or volunteer any information. If they don't say anything, neither should you.

hankhill22 Thanks this.
  11. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Screw the chiropractor dude. They don't even take BP as a daily duty. Only when this dot doctor stuff started, did chiropractors start venturing into a field they need not be in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.