I would like to restart with Schneider

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by lovesthedrive, Apr 28, 2016.

1. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    I have had some experience driving already. The headache I have is where I live there are few companies that hire. You see, I live near Bar Harbor Maine. Well a stones throw away is more like it, yet it gives you the reader a understanding of where I am. (tourist central) I also have a company that mows lawns. So I figure that if I do return to the road I must wait until the tourists are gone along with most of the mowing. So September will be when I will disappear for parts unknown.

So rather than tie up some one elses thread, I figured I need to start one to learn what I can. A pretrip of sorts. I figure I will go OTR non team. I dont really get along with others and solo seems like a better fit. I have called recruiting and felt that the people there were little better than text readers. All they did was reread line for line the ad that is on the website with little to no knowledge of what the job actually entailed.

-The website for Schneider says there is a paid orientation. Can some one tell me how long orientation is?
    -What about the part that says "Flexible scheduling". Does this refer to my driving habits? Or delivery time?
    -When I pretrip first thing in the morning, how is the info loaded to the qualcomm? I realize this is in the orientation, yet I would like the experience of others where I can get it.
    -I asked on another thread about the use of the qualcomm for web browsing. I still play World of Warcraft and understand that I will need to do so with probably a air card. Does anyone also play online from their truck and if so what do you do for a ISP?
    -On my 34, will they schedule me to a local OC for the 34?
    -How long will I work for them before I see my first paycheck?

I will have more questions in time. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    if coming in as inexperienced the orientation is roughly 3 weeks long. 1 week class/paperwork etc the 1 week on the road with an evaluator/trainer then 1 week back in class learning the systems we use and final driving test.

get an aircard or mifi for your own laptop or gaming systems. qualcomm is garbage for that sort of thing.

34 is whereever you see fit. if taken at home you can be sure of one of two loads. walmart pallet loads out of the dc up there or poland springs water.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  4. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    I worked western regional for Schneider. I would say their paid mileage was fairly accurate. The negatives for me were:
    Almost every load was a live load that took 4 to 6 hours to load.
    Same for deliveries.
    If you have a question, a reply takes a long wait.
    To contact dispatch by phone is also a long wait.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Did you try:
    Florilli Transportation - $1000.00 weekly
    Hartt Transportation
    Abilene Motor Express
    Prime Inc.
    Schneider is ok, but shop around as much as you can for that area & take the best offer.

Home_on_wheels Thanks this.
  6. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Hartt wants two years driven, 5 months to them wont cut it.
    Prime wont touch me as I cant do their "duck walk"
    Florilli Transportation- just googled them, alot of bad reviews and pay is less than Schneider's supposed 1200 a week
    Abilene Motor Express also requires at least one year driven.
    Schneider will allow me to go out with out a trainer as I have 5 months driven on paper.
    So thankyou for the suggestions of alternatives, yet I am going with Schneider.

Yeah, I had to deal with live loads of 4-6 hours when I worked with Western Express. Oh the thrills, nothing new there. It kills the clock and makes life so interesting. With Western I would get to Poland Springs with 3 hours on the clock. Get the truck loaded and had 9 hours. Their silly trucks limited at 62 or 60 at best. So drive down to NY and stop at a I-95 rest area with conveniences with 15 left on the clock. Oh the thrills. Been there done it, dont mind doing it again.

7. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    Try:
    Central Maine Transport
    Performance Food Group
    XPO-has local ltl work available but unsure if open to inexperienced drivers-if not then you can do otr with them
    Oakhurst dairy has local work-http://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=033083c559b72caf&q=driver+%2435%2C000&l=Maine&tk=1ahekedm8a4jpbti&from=web

Because you have some experience try-https://maine.craigslist.org/trp/5544541922.html

Options will be limited without experience. Keep your record clear for at least 2 years and you'll be able to find better paying tanker jobs or flatbed jobs with better pay and home time.

8. No names left

No names left Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2015
  9. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Sounds like you're schedule would be a good fit for a tanker outfit based up that way. Maybe you can run regional hauling propane if your not dead set on being fully over the road

10. stevep1977

stevep1977 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    One good thing about Poland springs and Schneider is 90% of the time it's preloaded. Only difference is they have specific appointment times they want you to show up at when the load is scheduled to be ready to go. Almost all the time it's just drop, hook and go. The delivery end on the other hand is a crap shoot. Mostly live unloads, at least one regular receiver had a drop/hook agreement

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  11. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Yeah, been to CMT. They are great for running you tired. Lasted 4 days with them. I cant function on 6 hours of sleep. The hard part I had with them was they wanted me to learn with them from Pittsfield instead of Bangor. Pittsfield is 100 miles away each direction. Bangor 35. What with all the paper mills going under, I doubt CMT will have much work anymore.

Just a request. Since this is a Schneider thread? Can we stick with Schneider conversation? I have explored the other carriers. Tankers are seasonal. Not interested in them. Going with Schneider. Thankyou.

ExtremeUnction Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.